Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
2FAS4U
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the past couple of weeks, I have gotten wet twice. The oil light came on and of course I shut her down to check it out. Oil was full and no engine noise. I was close to home, so I nursed it there. Again today, on the way home from work, it was raining and the oil light came on, again no problems found. I know it sounds wierd, but can the water be making the oil pressure switch act up? Grounding it out? I'm confused. I might add an oil pressure gauge anyway, for peace of mind :smiley_th

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
Bing-o. just what i was thinking... the issue with putting in a gauge is you will need a different oil pressure sensor. the one that is in there now is more of a light switch. its either on or off.....vs the type you will need for a gauge, is a variable resistor and as pressure goes up the resistance either goes up or down.... may be more work then worth... just try and find the short and you should be fine....

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
The oil pressure sensor is located just above the starter on the left hand side of the forward crankcase. Check to see if the bolt head holding the lead on is tight and that the contact is clean. Also check the wire routing to make sure it is not contacting the frame with the rainwater causing the circuit to complete thus causing the lit oil light. It sounds like that is probably your problem. If that is the case, cleaning and tightening the connection should solve your problem.
If the wire is grounded somewhere, an electrical oil pressure gauge won't solve the problem as it will give an erroneous readout.

·
2FAS4U
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My bike is an 05 with 6600 miles on it. I do not see any issues with the wiring, so I am assuming the rain has something to do with it. I am going to try and install a tee fitiing and run the light along with an electric oil pressure gauge. In the meantime, I have insulated the connection, and I'm going to test it with some water, to try and solve the mystery.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts