Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 VN 750 that died and wouldn't start. After putting a new battery in it and it dying again, we took it to a shop to get it checked out. The mechanic said it was probably the stator, but he will check to see if it was the rectifier. I am not sure if he thought to charge the battery after putting the new rectifier in. He told us that it was the stator and that it would cost about $900 to replace. We didn't want to pay that much to replace the stator so we decided to do it ourselves.

I wanted to ride while we were fixing my bike so I bought a 1989 Vn 750. I bought a cheap stator that came with a new gasket off of Amazon, and we replaced it the frame cut method. I took off the old gasket before putting the new one on. When I was putting the oil filter cap back on I accidentally broke it, so I put the oil filter cap from the 89 onto the 01. The 89 had new oil so I got a clean oil pan and put the oil from the 89 into the 01 also.

After we put it all back together, we charged the battery and started it. The oil light stayed on after I started the bike, but I rode it anyways to see if it would go away. The engine wouldn't rev up any higher and when I pulled the clutch in, the engine shut off. I walked it home and burped the oil to try to make the light go off. That didn't work and I think the engine is now ceased and I don't think I have oil pressure.

Does anyone know what I should do, or what the problem actually is?

·
Registered
8,852 Posts
Sounds terminal, might drain the oil and look for glitter.

You did the first thing recommended, burping the oil filter, but doing it after the ride may have been too late.

Will it crank over with the starter?

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Ooph. If the oil light was on, you probably had zero lubrication while riding. Not good. Was probably just an air bubble, and priming the pump will have/would have fixed it the oil circulation problem.
Now it's time for a new engine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ooph. If the oil light was on, you probably had zero lubrication while riding. Not good. Was probably just an air bubble, and priming the pump will have/would have fixed it the oil circulation problem.
Now it's time for a new engine.
Is it possible that the engine is not messed up? Is there a way to get the air bubble out and lubricate the engine?

·
Premium Member
1,068 Posts
You can try to see if the motor will turn by taking off the outside stator plate and manually crank it with a ratchet counterclockwise
I’d still drain it and check for glitter as mentioned previously though.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
It's possible. I've seen engines come back from being seized, but the bore was probably pretty badly damaged. What mmart says is correct, and you can manually turn it, but I'd personally try to get some oil into the cylinder before I tried moving anything again. Right now everything is dry, and you'll have to get the pistons running again before a primed oil pump is going to start providing lubrication again.

uninformed advice ahead Pull out a plug on each cylinder, and get enough oil in there to get around the rings, but not drown the whole piston. I've found fogging oil at my local auto parts store. While you have the plugs pulled, look in there to see how badly scored the cylinders are.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I already drained the oil so that I could put the oil filter cap back on my '89. I didn't see any glitter but I put it through a coffee filter. Do you think the coffee filter would have gotten any shavings out?

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
The coffee filter would have caught MOST of the shaving, so you would have at least seen if there was aluminum floating in the oil. If there was, don't re-use the strained oil.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts