Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
spence
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have a little over 3,000 miles on my 2001 VN. Last year I noticed a small leak in the valve cover on the left side rear cylinder. It has grown over the last few weeks to a steady drip. I tried tightning down the rocker covers to no avail. I checked with a local Kawasaki dealer and he wants about $800 to pull the motor and replace the gasket.

My question is, is there any other way to fix an oil leak without taking the whole motor apart? It would almost be cheaper for me to sell my bike and buy a new one under warranty!

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Spence

·
Forum Faciliator
369 Posts
The only *safe* way I know to stop a head gasket leak is to pull the head and replace the gasket. The dealer may have said he needs to pull the engine to replace the gasket, but I don't belive the whole motor has to be taken apart. I have not done this on our bikes, but you might be able to do Hoots trick where you might be able to remove enough things to be able to turn the engine so you can remove the cylinder head to replace the gasket without entirely removing the engine. This is not a technically difficult job, but it is a time consuming one. I'd try to live with the leak if it is not too severe, it until winter and make it a winter project..

Also becareful of what you tighten. Sometimes tightening things with gaskets too much, causes more leaks... Don't ask how I know this...

And stop parking next to Harley's, they give your bike bad ideas ;-)

Sorry HD owners, I could not resist... the obvious joke ;-)

RB

·
Registered
29 Posts
Spence,

I would think that with a little help from the board and good tools you should be able to do the work yourself for a fraction of the cost. Not saying it would be easy but definately cheaper. However if time is a premium for you then I guess you have some choices to make. Good luck.

P.S. Thanks for the patch.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts