Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
oil leak
after doing a stator install I cannot tell were the leak is maybe around the wires it’s a small leak and only happens once the bike is up to temp or if I drive it on the up side the new stator is putting out 14.5v :D yay but this leak is killing me if anyone has any ideas on how to stop a leak around the wires without tanking the engine out let me know asap :D

just to add it will only leak if the bike is running

also my oil level window is just all black so I can’t tell how much oil I have  if anyone one has any ideas on that I would love to hear them too :D

·
Model A Guy
26 Posts
Oil leak

Hey Yoshi, I had a leak where the stator wires exit the engine case because the rubber grommet was gone. It would leak a little when parked after a ride.
I had to clean the wires and the opening with alcohol and then seal with RTV.
Used a mirror to make sure I got the RTV all around the opening and wires.
Hasn't leaked since. Next time you have engine running check oil window and see if it's still black, if not, you might have a tad bit too much oil in it which would make it all one color when engine is off. If it's truly black I would think the oil needs changed. Good luck with the leak.

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
Next time you have engine running check oil window and see if it's still black, if not, you might have a tad bit too much oil in it which would make it all one color when engine is off. If it's truly black I would think the oil needs changed. Good luck with the leak.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks i will look soon at the oil and let u know sorry to sound noobish what is RTV ?

and i just did the oil change midnight yesterday :p

·
Registered
509 Posts
Window is black

On mine it looks like it is all black until I get a flash light or trouble light and look up close. It is hard to see just where the oil level is. I have never had to add oil. It will go down a little but not enough to matter.

Mcneuby :smiley_th

·
Crap, I WAS in 5th gear.
500 Posts
"RTV" refers to room temperature vulcanizing-- in our context (single component system in a tube) it is characterized by a catalyzed reaction of the acetoxy silane crosslinker with hydroxyl capped polydimethylsiloxane linear polymer which leads to the formation of a three-dimensional silicone polymer network and
acetic acid. This is why curing silicone sealant smells like vinegar. It is also why on cold, dry, winter days single component silicones (a.k.a. moisture or acid cure) take forever to cure.

You might consider using Permatex "Right Stuff." Expensive, but works great.

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
get help use a flashligt and lean the bike to the right till you can see the oil level. if you can see it as you lean it right you have to much in it,

·
Registered
384 Posts
"RTV" refers to room temperature vulcanizing-- in our context (single component system in a tube) it is characterized by a catalyzed reaction of the acetoxy silane crosslinker with hydroxyl capped polydimethylsiloxane linear polymer which leads to the formation of a three-dimensional silicone polymer network and
acetic acid. This is why curing silicone sealant smells like vinegar. It is also why on cold, dry, winter days single component silicones (a.k.a. moisture or acid cure) take forever to cure.

You might consider using Permatex "Right Stuff." Expensive, but works great.
What Kelly said!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Permatex "Right Stuff." i thank fixed my leak i hope and i had to much oil thanks for the flash light idea :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts