Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Oil leak requires engine removal?

Tags
oil leak
3K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  taco_to_go 
#1 ·
My 2003 VN750 has an oil leak. I haven't been able to pinpoint it. It only leaks when its running and warm. The oil seems to be coming from underneath the left side of the engine. Is there a place where it is a typical leak on these? Does the engine have to be pulled to fix the problem? Am I better off to just trade it off? Already out around $1500 on tires, battery, and mechanics. Any insight on the trouble this repair will be?

Thanks

#4 ·
How much oil is leaking? I get a few drops here and there on the ground by the side stand. My gut tells me the hacks at the dealership didn’t use any RTV with the gasket when I had the stator replaced. I don’t see it every time. Normally it’ll drip the first time I park after it’s been sitting but it’s so intermittent I can’t pinpoint it. If it’s the stator cover then it can continue to leak because I don’t plan on pulling the engine just for a tiny leak.

#9 ·
The oil drips more easily when everything is hot. I would imagine it does leak at night but the drops just stay on the engine. A "pressure" leak should be easy to find because there are only a few places on the bike that can leak under pressure. The oil line, oil filter and pressure sending unit would be the most likely. A gasket or o-ring on the other hand is more likely and harder to spot. Wipe it down and place some paper under her to try and narrow the leak down. Really some leaks are more concerning than others. Most you can live with unless you have a little ocd. Then my suggestion is either (1) don't look or (2) buy a 1970's Harley. They were real leak masters. A few drops may be annoying but, unless you have a huge puddle appearing constantly, not going to hurt anything. For a comparison place a measured 1/2 teaspoon of oil on the concrete, then you will see how big a spot it makes. 1 drop will usually expand to over a quarter size spot and can make you nervous while the actual oil loss is not very much at all.

The only time I had a oil loss problem that concerned me was after a oil change. I didn't tighten the filler cap and it fell off. My leg got drenched and oil sprayed all over. The smoke off the exhaust alerted me to my mistake. Plus it happened right away, withing 5 miles of riding. Even then it was still in the sight glass on the center stand. (The cap landed between the exhaust and frame so I was lucky and could jut put it back on.)

#14 ·
So after doing so much work on my bike and had no issues with leaks, I got a stupid leak exactly where you say (sounds like it) and it is the o-ring on the oil drain because I over tighten it!! It’s coming only when is very hot, on side stand, right there on the left , like behind the side stand. If it’s that, It’s less than $10 fix.
If not could be also the generator o-ring (left side round cover with 3 screws). Also under $15 fix.
Don’t panic, take your time, see and think … drain your oil , replace these two or one at the time (up to you) and test it for a few days.
Don’t waste your bike because of frustration! :)
good luck!

#15 ·
This is what deal with normally the first time I cut the engine. It’s normally one or two drops like in the pic. It takes over a year for a spot to form on my pavement big enough for me to break out the degreaser and power washer so I know it’s not a high volume leak but it does annoy me.
Tire Automotive lighting Bicycle tire Automotive tire Tread

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.