Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my bike to a mechanic because I was traveling on business on the Vulcan and didn't have the time or facilities to repair it. The guy replaced my stator by cutting through the frame and used a cardboard gasket. I will have to address that later.

Here's my problem, though: The gasket is leaking, pretty badly. I don't have time to bring it back to this out-of-town mechanic and make him re-do the job, but I need to quit leaking oil, at least for a while. I also don't have time to pull the engine to get to that gasket. Is there a quick fix?

Thanks all.
Andy

·
Super Moderator
11,971 Posts
Your only hope here is to see if all the bolts holding the cover on are tight, and just adding oil as you lose it.

Am guessing it is not leaking too bad, as I would not ride a bike that was...(oil on the rear tire has bad effects)

There is no patch I know of that will work on an oil leak.

KM

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
I took my bike to a mechanic because I was traveling on business on the Vulcan and didn't have the time or facilities to repair it. The guy replaced my stator by cutting through the frame and used a cardboard gasket. I will have to address that later.

Here's my problem, though: The gasket is leaking, pretty badly. I don't have time to bring it back to this out-of-town mechanic and make him re-do the job, but I need to quit leaking oil, at least for a while. I also don't have time to pull the engine to get to that gasket. Is there a quick fix?

Thanks all.
Andy
He replaced the stator by cutting the frame, and you are worried about some dripping oil??!!

How did he repair the frame? Is it even safe to ride?
I know Edilbriss or someone has pics on the gallery of building a subframe for the left side to match the right side, but this strikes me as a major mod, not a quick repair done on the road.

·
1985 VN-700
418 Posts
Are you kidding. Thats awful. I hate hammer mechanics. I do wish Kawasaki thought of making that side of the frame the removable one.

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
I modded my frame to allow easy stator changes. I've been thru 4 now (don't buy used! lol) I sat & thought about it for quite a WHILE. I wouldn't suggest what I did which is also why I never posted it. As for the oil leak, a very temperary fix would be to clean off all the leaked oil & use the black gasket stuff in a tube (forget the actual name) & apply it liberally around the seam, all the way around. This would have to set up overnight atleast & could get you home with minimal leakage. It will be fun cleaning it all back off too. Like KM said, there's really not a fix that will last unless you wanted to JBweld the seam closed but I wouldn't sujest that one either. Good luck getting home & becarefull!

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
I think you have grounds for a suit. What an idiot!

·
Registered
195 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts