Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Captive New Yorker....
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've tried putting my side outer stator cover on twice now, but still have two oil drips from the bottom of the cover. I can't bare taking the damn thing off again and spending two hours cleaning all the silicone off. Does any one think it would be possible to seal it in this spot from the outside? I don't care what it looks like, I jut want to stop the leaks......

·
Captive New Yorker....
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Snap

·
Captive New Yorker....
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lol. Doesn't everything on the bike behind the leak get covered in oil? I worry about my back tire getting oil on it.

·
Crap, I WAS in 5th gear.
500 Posts
That is certainly a concern. Just be more careful turning left. My rear wheel shaft seal failed at 300 miles, so I speak from experience! Seriously though, if it's leaking enough to get onto the back tire, you should fix it.

In my experience, once you let one minor leak go, it's easier to stomach additonal ones. I have a little different attitude than most since I commute every day and have too much other stuff going on right now. My bike is a tool, and as long as the minor leaks do not affect functionality, I will get to them when I have time. I have replaced my shift lever seal, but it started leaking again. I think oil is coming out of the stator wire opening now. It's not even one drip per day, so not such a big deal at this point.

·
Captive New Yorker....
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh one drip a day, ok. This will drip one drop a minute at least.

·
Chucklehead
1,050 Posts
Remove the cover and check/clean the O-ring around the outside of the cover. A little nick will leak alot. I ended up using a little RTV until I could get a replacement, then dealt with the mess of cleaning it all off.

·
Crap, I WAS in 5th gear.
500 Posts
Yep, you defintely need to fix it. If you use RTV the mating surfaces need to be TOTALLY clean and free from oil- and don't over-torque the fasteners

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
mine is doing the same thing and has since I replaced the stator 2 years ago but it has gotten worse. the oil gets on the side of my back tire at highway speeds so I believe i'm just gonna drop the motor again and maybe do the stator cover mod while I'm at it, really not wanting tobut I cant take the leak anymore plus I ride in the rain a good bit which means the oil is going everwhere then! time to bite the bullet!

·
Registered
77 Posts
I guess I will join the oil drip club. Mine is just a few drops a day. And only when I run it.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I will have a couple drops showing under my bike as well, started after I replaced the stator. Got the stator from TPE. But I will be darned if I can find exactly where its coming from. The only thing I can think of is the oil is wicking from the new mesh that protects the stator wires coming out of the side cover, since the mesh is soaked with oil.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts