Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best oil filter for the 750 other than the oem?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Ask this question to 10 people and you are likely to get 10 answers. I use Mobil 1 exclusively in my car. I 'm not nearly as picky about my bike (I know, I know...). Anyway, there are a few brands that will do an excellent job and there are a bunch that will do a sufficient job. There are some that will probably do very little for you.

Read through the previous filter posts in the "oil" section and you will see a bunch of suggestions.

Personally, I like this chart...pretty handy:

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/FilterXRef.html

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bishop. I have read that site and I bought the purolator pl14612. Thanks for your imput. All I wanted was some experience from some of you guys.

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
From the yahoo group..
AC PF2135, PF2057, L14622, L14459

Amsoil SMF103 Amsoil dealers about $8.00 Traps and holds more dirt than a conventional paper filter. Filter is painted black.

Bosch 3300 or 3323 Auto Zone 5.49

Emgo HC04 (for '95 on up). (HC03 for older) http://www.crc2onlinecatalog.com/ 6.95 ea. 5.95 ea X 10

FRAM PH6017A Oil Filter Kragen Auto Stores $5, look for $3 Coupon FRAM is not recommended. Use ST6607 from Wal Mart!!!!

Fram 6017 Fleet Farm $4.79

Hastings LF402

K and N 202 Various online locations and Kaw dealers Appx $12.00 03 and up is a K&N303 and for Chome it is a K&N303C

Mobil 1 M1-110

Motorcraft FL822
NAPA 1356 NAPA The 1358 is shorter, smaller capacity and costs $9.69

STP S-02867, S-02876, or SMO-010A Auto Zone sometimes The SMO-010A I saw was white :(

SuperTech 2000 ST2808 or ST6607 WalMart 1.97

Wix 51334 or 51356

I get the Supertech ST6607 from WalMart (Up to $2.07 now) Works great with an oil change every 3000 miles *S*

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks Dianna. What do you think of the purolator line of filters? Are they not made by champion?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Purolators are very good. They are not made by Champion Labs. Most of us don't use 'em because they're very hard to find. For our Vulcan the best bang for the buck has to be the SuperTech ST6607 sold at Walmart, it's made by Champion Labs. All the filters listed in Dianna's post are good with the exception of the Fram, which I have cut open - JUNK!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks Bruce, they have the purolator PL 14612 and 610 at advance auto here in somerset.

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Given that this is such an old post, there may be new info. I was just reading the Purolator website, and they discourage using their "PureONE" line for motorcycles. I think that the 14612 and 14610 are both PureONE filters. Here is a direct quote...

What About PureONE

If you're thinking you want to install a PureONE oil filter on your bike, please think again. PureONE oil filters are designed for vehicles, not bikes. Because of PureONE's high efficiency, the motorcycle oil pump may not be able to handle the pressure. The Purolator motorcycle filter line is designed to meet the specific needs of a bike; therefore we highly recommend the use of a Purolator ML filter over a PureONE oil filter.​

Does anyone have any more info on filters? I'm looking for a good filter and the matching size filter wrench.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
this list prety much covers it popi...I am a huge fan of wix filters myself...BTW wix is a division of dana corp and NAPA gold filters are also a wix filter

·
Registered
40 Posts
I sent an e-mail to person who has done a bunch of research on oil filters and cross references and stuff and he surmised, That's their lawyers talking. Their ML line is rebranded crap made in china, that's gives you and idea how much they care about your engine.

So I will continue to use the PL14610 PureOne filter on my KAW Vulcan 750

·
ExNewbie..Still Learnin'!
256 Posts
Click Here. For VN750 oil filters posted in the Verses.
Thanks Doug, for reminding us all of the wealth of information contained in the Verses. I plan on picking up a few of the Walmart ST7317's if they still carry them. If not, I'll look for the ST6607's.

Again, thanks for the reminder.

:rockon:

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
The Walmart near me still has them all day long for the last few months RS, so you should be good. I've been using them without any trouble, and you can't beat the price.

(I was at a Harley Dealer the other day behind a guy in line who was buying all HD oil and filters; I laughed out loud when they gave him the total, $55 and some change, cause he HAD to have the **** that said HD on the package, LOL)

·
ExNewbie..Still Learnin'!
256 Posts
The Walmart near me still has them all day long for the last few months RS, so you should be good. I've been using them without any trouble, and you can't beat the price.
Roger. Thanks Doug. I'll check out my local Wally World and see what's available. Sounds like it shouldn't be an issue. Thanks again. :smiley_th

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
I started to use wix, they are in the 5$ range. It just gives me a better sence of security. And I am going to run the oil longer about 3 to 4 thousand miles.

·
Registered
950 Posts
[/QUOTE]Does anyone have any more info on filters? I'm looking for a good filter and the matching size filter wrench.[/QUOTE]

Filter wrench. We don't need no steenking filter wrench.

Use your hand. It doesn't need to be that tight that you need a wrench. If it is on there that tight already, shove a screwdriver through it and pry it off.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Purolators are very good. They are not made by Champion Labs. Most of us don't use 'em because they're very hard to find. For our Vulcan the best bang for the buck has to be the SuperTech ST6607 sold at Walmart, it's made by Champion Labs. All the filters listed in Dianna's post are good with the exception of the Fram, which I have cut open - JUNK!
Bruce,
Whats wrong with Fram, I just bought one at AA but haven't put it on yet?

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
Bruce,
Whats wrong with Fram, I just bought one at AA but haven't put it on yet?
If you want the best filter protection, DON"T use Fram. If you dont care about your engine then use fram. :doh: For the past several years Fram filters are Chineese crap!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts