Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok I am about to explode. I have 3 oil filter wrenches and NONE WORK. The jaws one puts dents in the filter, the wrap around one just slips and the cap wrench only fits one manufacturer's oil filter.

Which one does everyone here use?

Thanks,
Dave

P.S. Aha - I use the wrap-around wrench and use a thick rubber band type thingy.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What's wrong with denting the filter?

-Robert
Looks like crap, mainly. But it can also punch a hole in it, too. I don't think I got that bad so I kept the filter for another time and bought a new one.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
You only need a wrench to take the filter off, so denting it is no big deal.
90% of the time I can screw a filter off a car or pickup truck with my bare hand. Once in a while I need a heavy duty rubber glove for more grip or insulation from heat.

I have used metal strap wrenchs and rubber strap wrenches on occasion, when I can`t get a good grip on the filter with my hand.

I once had a filter that resisted all the above mentioned methods. I drove a long punch through both sides of the filter can and used it like a lever to twist and get the filter started to unscrew. It was messy, but it worked. :smiley_th

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not this bike. Both times I have changed the oil they were very tight to take off and screw on. The Purolater filter wouldn't tighten all the way down and it got dented up real bad. I even thought I stripped the threads!!! I removed it and put on a Mobil 1 and it was ALMOST like you say, Hoss. But without a wrench on this bike, the filter won't go on all the way. I used a rubber band around the filter and used the wrap-around wrench and it didn't slip - but I am going to find a thicker piece of rubber from now on. Crisis averted, but I was getting very peeved. Thanks for the input.

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
I like strap wrenches myself.

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
Wow. I have never had trouble putting an oil filter on. Hand tight then a little more with both hands.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Only tool I ever use!
I saw that when I was looking for another alternative. I almost went out and got it when the idea of the rubber band hit me. Thanks for letting me know you use it. :beerchug:

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I like strap wrenches myself.
Do you need a rubber band around the filter or does the strap not slip? I had no luck before the idea of a rubber band hit me.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow. I have never had trouble putting an oil filter on. Hand tight then a little more with both hands.
I don't know what to say. I do know that it was a bad idea not to pick up that penny that was lying on the ground heads-up. :doh:

·
Registered
450 Posts
I use it on every vehicle. I don't trust the hand tight bs. Seen and heard to many incidents it has caused. I also don't trust any one else doing an oil change. I want mine tighter then that. That will remove any filter. It will crush it if one on is on very tight. It works simular to a bolt out. The harder you turn, the more it grips.

Cup style always slip and a hundered different sizes. Strap and clamp type are not ideal in tight places. This one does it all.

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
I might go try one myself. I'm always open to another method or tool that might make the job easier. I wasn't trying to sound like an ass btw I was just kind of trying to wrap my head around the situation. Never had that one myself and by law of probability you would have thought I would have run into that by now.

Never had a problem using my hands either. I did make the mistake of crushing one of my first filters using a wrench trying to snug it down...looked like crap. Then my dad told me to just use my hands and give it an extra little oomph at the end.

I must say that I do enjoy discussions like this where everyone just shares what works best for each individual.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,242 Posts
the strap one works fine for me.:smiley_th

·
Patriot Guard Rider
825 Posts
Autozone special.

·
romeobravo172
842 Posts
Sounds like saving it for hard times!!!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nooooooooo I do Not reuse old filters. But the one (Purolater Gold) that I dented up trying to put on still seems usable. It's brand new, just got dents now. BUT - since it would not tighten down I might avoid Purolator GOLD and stick with Mobil 1 (110) or Kawi from here on out.

·
romeobravo172
842 Posts
Put that thing on E-bay , just say that dent looking thing looks like Jesus!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts