Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all. just done oil change and not sure if i have used correct oil filter,,or does it matter ?. the filter i have on now is a champion F302. the bike is a 1992 A8 model (usa) now in the UK. many thanks.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Read the link below from the verses, the best source of info on our bikes.

http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1142
WHAT IS THE SIZE OF OUR FILTER ?
Large Filter and Small Filter 20 x 1.5mm threads anti-drain back valve 2.3" O.D. gasket
Your Champion part number -F302 seems to be a UK number from my google search.

If the filter meets these dimensions and has the anti-drain back valve you should be good to go for this oil change.

A filter that sits vertically does not have to have an anti drain back valve to protect the engine. However most/all motorcycle engines have a filter that sits horizontally and absolutely require a high quality anti-drain back valve to prevent contaminants from flowing back into the engine when it is turned off.

Here is a link to a study on oil filters.
http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Filters.html

Study it and you will see why his #1 recommended filter is the PUROLATOR PURE ONE, p/n 14610 for Honda, Kawi and Yamaha motorcycles with the 20 X 1.5 mm mounting thread. (Suzuki requires an adaptor as they use a different 20 X 1.0 mm thread. Full info in article.)

After reading this article, the Pure One filter line appears to be the best quality filter available for any vehicle I own. It would be my #1 choice in the future. :smiley_th

BTW, welcome to the Vulcan madness.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you for the info guys,,when i walk into a motorcycle shop anywhere near my home town,and mention a part for a vn 750 i get that vacant look on their face. they stumble around in books to find parts numbers and say i "think" this is the one your after !...not good for my trust in them..lol. yes im in the uk,,right in the middle of the sh*t hole.lol. thank you once again for your help,,great site too,,enjoying reading and learning.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts