Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
You might have a gasket or 0-ring problem. O-ring part numbers 92055 and 670B, gasket number 11060, all behind the filter plate. Also I would get a metric chaser and chase the threads on the filter adapter. You could chase it with the right size metric nut. You may have done damage to the threads by overtightening the filters and the new ones are not seating properly.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Sounds to me, like the "filter bolt" as you called it, may be bent from true. You will never get a good seal then (was the bike in an accident before ?)...
In a pinch, you can peel the old rubber gasket from the old filter and double up...but this is just a temp fix. If the leak stops, then, the shaft for the filter is bent, or the plate where it mounts is bent...
If you know a carpenter, have them check the shaft for square to the plate...from 4 sides...not that hard to do, used to do it to 151 ci Iron Dukes since the filters were low and on the side and vulnerable....theyre's screwed out to replace, dunno if the Vulcan's does...

·
Viking
29 Posts
That is interesting. I have the exact same issue. Im now on the 3rd filter within weeks. The last filter,is a high quality KN filter installed by the book. If this one leaks (havn't run her yet) , would a solution be to put on an adapter and seal it against the engine side with liquid gasket, and install a new filter upon the adapter? Or am I into a major repair?

·
Viking
29 Posts
Ok, i'll try to cut a rubber gasket that fits between the filter and the engine, as an extra gasket - see if that works. Or does anyone come up,
with an different idea?

·
Registered
450 Posts
Make sure it is dry after you install a new filter and seal with rtv. As a temp fix till you fix the real problem that is.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
If you do go the route of checking for square, and find its bent (its hollow, right ?) you COULD try to nudge it back into square by putting in a pipe of same I.D. and trying to GENTLY bend it back....but only if its a "little out"...if its too bent, replace, else it may snap.

·
Viking
29 Posts
Ok, has anyone tried to replace the oilfilter mounting plate. Is this an easy task. Maybe some of the problems really origins from the mounting plate - not sealed against the engine. A few drops may come out here??

·
Viking
29 Posts
Is there any difference in the oilfiltermounting plates? I see dofferent partnumbers for a 87 model and newer. Seems as if my 87 has one of the newer plates, could this be the issue? Is it easy to replace?

·
Viking
29 Posts
Leaking oil filter - this might be the issue?

So I just removed the oil filter - can't be the issue. And also removed the oil filter plate. Found out that the mounting point, where the oilfilter plate is attached to the engine is not completely even - this might be what is causing a few drops to come out (see picture). This is what I'm trying to solve.

I've ordered complete new plate (13270-1170), O rings (670D1506 & 920551021), and the paper gasket (11060-1092). My question now is - how do I mount this paper gasket (11060-1092), put it on dry, and tighten it down? - or, soak it in oil before mounting it?, or use some kind of sealing stuff? (remember the engine plate is not completely even, I can feel the spot marked on the photo - a tiny bit uneven).

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
So I just removed the oil filter - can't be the issue. And also removed the oil filter plate. Found out that the mounting point, where the oilfilter plate is attached to the engine is not completely even - this might be what is causing a few drops to come out (see picture). This is what I'm trying to solve.

I've ordered complete new plate (13270-1170), O rings (670D1506 & 920551021), and the paper gasket (11060-1092). My question now is - how do I mount this paper gasket (11060-1092), put it on dry, and tighten it down? - or, soak it in oil before mounting it?, or use some kind of sealing stuff? (remember the engine plate is not completely even, I can feel the spot marked on the photo - a tiny bit uneven).
I would mount it dry, coated on each side with this Permatex

http://www.permatex.com/products/Automotive/automotive_gasketing/gasket_sealants/auto_Permatex_Form-A-Gasket_No_2_Sealant.htm

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
Seems to be hard to find permatex in Denmark. However found Loctite 5922, seems to do the same job.
I think the Locktite will work ok.

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
Thx, pretty sure this is the orign of the oil leak, and that the permatex/loctite stuff will fix it :)
Held og lykke :beerchug:

·
Viking
29 Posts
Yeeeehaaaaa.....

Changed the oil filter part - with the new design. New paper gasket, sealed with some liquid gasket stuff.... Guess what - no more leaks from the oil filter.

I've replaced 3 oilfilters, because it wasn't possible to determine where the drops came from, they all ended up in the botton of the oilfilter - so my wrong conclusion where that they came from there. However it showed up that the oilfilter plate gasket was the problem.

No leaks anymore - yehaaa....

I guess that many with the same issue should try replace the seal behind the oilfiltermounting plate :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts