Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now when my charging problem seems to be almost solved a new problem appeared for me.
I checked the oil level on my bike....at least wanted to do. But I didnt see a thing, and as I said before I dont trust the dealer anymore so I'm not sure if they ever changed the oil before selling the bike to me (it was standing in their garage for 2 years).
So I decided to make it easier for me and drain all the oil and fill up with new one. Good idea I hoped but there stopped my luck.
The oil drain plug's screw was just spinning, nothing happened. Then later on even the O-ring was spinning around with the screw and I never managed to remove the drain plug at all.
Is there anything I did wrong or the screw is really....screwed up for me? :)

·
Registered
200 Posts
Ernom said:
Now when my charging problem seems to be almost solved a new problem appeared for me.
I checked the oil level on my bike....at least wanted to do. But I didnt see a thing, and as I said before I dont trust the dealer anymore so I'm not sure if they ever changed the oil before selling the bike to me (it was standing in their garage for 2 years).
So I decided to make it easier for me and drain all the oil and fill up with new one. Good idea I hoped but there stopped my luck.
The oil drain plug's screw was just spinning, nothing happened. Then later on even the O-ring was spinning around with the screw and I never managed to remove the drain plug at all.
Is there anything I did wrong or the screw is really....screwed up for me? :)
Sounds like someone overtightened it and stripped the threads. :BLAM:
Easy to do in an aluminum block engine....
You're going to have to apply some downward leverage on that thing, with a screwdriver or small nail remover etc while turning it. Hopefully it'll grab and you will be able to unscrew it.
Then it's Helicoil time..or at least tapping a slightly larger drain plug in there.

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
May sound silly, but check to make sure you are trying to loosen the right bolt.
http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/400_0438/oil_pump_oil_filter/oil_pump_oil_filter.cfm?man=ka&groupid=10770&parent=10700

Had a member in another group that reported a "spinning oil cap" only to find out they had loosened the wrong one and the reason it was spinning was because there was a nut on the back holding it in place. Make sure you tighten up the one you loosened if that is the case.
Also is it possible you have a magnetic oil plug?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sadly it's the right one I tried to remove. I've followed the Clymer manual and checked the post above.
I'm not a small guy but I had to use all my force to loosen up the screw.
So I'm afraid it's gonna be a busted screw. :(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts