Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just want to check if anyone else has experienced this...

I tried to loosen the oil drain plug (the side-stand one, not the center one) and can't seem to get it off. My socket & wrench were too deep to clear the frame and I don't have a metric wrench set (yet). I tried a crescent wrench which didn't work, and a pair of vice grips which actually started to strip the drain plug.

Is this thing supposed to be this tight? I'm going to get a set of metric wrenches during my lunch break, just wanted to get some opinions on getting this thing off so I can change the oil.

Cheers,

NUTT

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So I picked up a metric wrench set during my lunch break and am going to give this a shot once I get home. Anybody have any pointers or warnings?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'd use a socket set, I believe it is 17mm. The cresent seemed like it wanted to round out. With a 4 inch extension on a socket you can really tq down. Maybe a hair blower on the bolt would help.

I have the opposite problem, the allen bolt will not budge, I think it would take a breaker bar. I put so much tq on it I expected the allen wrench to break. The only reason I wanted it out was to clear out any metal that may be sitting in there above the bolt.

·
Registered
198 Posts
The side oil drain plug should not be over-tightened. In fact no bolt should be overtightened, it's just asking for trouble. Put an open-end wrench on the bolt and give it a couple taps with a hammer. When you put it back in, just put it in plenty snug, not overtight.
dan-Seattle

1 - 5 of 5 Posts