Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! First post, but I have used the site a lot for my 2002 vn750. I was wondering if you guys know where to get a replacement oil drain cap, the one on the bottom left with the screen behind it. My bolt head was stripped. I have found some online that are OEM but the cheapest is $31. That is an expensive bolt! Anyone know where to get a cheaper one or aftermarket one? I can't seem to find anything.

·
Registered
170 Posts
There are some guys on here with parts bikes. Here's hoping somebody can help you out. :smiley_th

Welcome to the forum!

GDI

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
I’ll PM you the info for a POS bike that I think this dealer might be parting out. I bought a couple of non-essential parts off it. No guarantees, of course. I named my price and got it.

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,501 Posts
Most chain automotive stores (Auto Zone, Pep Boys, etc.) carry replacement drain plugs and you can choose from rubber, metal, or plastic.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Most chain automotive stores (Auto Zone, Pep Boys, etc.) carry replacement drain plugs and you can choose from rubber, metal, or plastic.
Yes but the drain cap is different from the drain plug on the vulcan. I don't think they would have one that fits, right?

·
Registered
788 Posts
He's talking about the big goofy one with the slots cut into it that attaches to the side of the sump, the one where you can partially remove it to drain the oil and inspect the metal filter. Searching "vn750 oil drain plug" only brings up results for the other more conventional one on the bottom of the sump.

Unless you can find a used one (no luck on my end so far) you might be best with an OEM one. It's expensive, but sometimes the price of not riding is worth an overpriced bolt! hahaha

When you do get a new one, maybe put a little anti-sieze on it and lightly tighten it. Heck, maybe you could modify the one you have to grind some flats in it so you could fit a spanner or an adjustable wrench on it? I like when things cost Free.99

·
Registered
8,307 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I still ride. I have the old one on right now. I have been using vise grips to get it off since the head is stripped. Just took a nearly 400 mile trip a couple days ago so it isn't super pressing to get one right now. I just hate messing around with vise grips for a while just to change the oil.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
If you know a real good aluminum tig welder, they could build it up for you, though if you were detect any doubt of success on their part I wouldn't trust 'em with it. Without adequate experience it could be distorted and/or melted into just a puddle. And of course they may want the same cost as buying one.

I could do it for ya, but time and logistics likely make it impractical.

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
I still ride. I have the old one on right now. I have been using vise grips to get it off since the head is stripped. Just took a nearly 400 mile trip a couple days ago so it isn't super pressing to get one right now. I just hate messing around with vise grips for a while just to change the oil.
You can change oil with the bottom drain plug, but there's always that extra half pint or so in the sump screen.

Keep checking ebay, the caps used to show up cheap pretty often, but I haven't been watching lately. Could get email notification if someone lists one.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
...though if you were detect any doubt of success on their part...
Man, that is a beautiful turn of phrase. I've gotta remember to use that at work someday.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Oh, then you're in pretty good shape. So you're probably not willing to pay much at all for it, right? What's the max out of pocket, to your door, that you're willing to pay for that bolt? There's a guy in my town who has a bike in pieces. He might part with it (hey! a pun!). But I assume he's gonna want $10 or $15 at least, to make it worth his while. And then it's going to cost something to ship it.

The thing is... this isn't just "a bolt." It's a very specific part, with no other purpose, for a bike that's been out of production for over a decade, which some people need in order to make their motorcycle operable. So I can see why people charge $30 for it (however, I agree that $31 is over the top. $30 would be just fine) ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts