Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive noticed that my engine oil gets dirty after only 15-30 miles of riding after a change. Could a slipping clutch be adding to that ?
Now, just a note, I dont always change the filter 1)due to finances, 2) due to frequent changes. Is it possible that the filter is so dirty that no oil passes and then the clutch contributes to the black ? Whenever I opened up parts of the engine, all looked pretty clean, and no sludge. Oil pressure is good, and no tapping from the engine. Am I missing something ?

·
romeobravo172
842 Posts
By not changing filter you are right off the bat dirtying up your clean oil! I think clean oil will look darker pretty quick.

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
Ive noticed that my engine oil gets dirty after only 15-30 miles of riding after a change. Could a slipping clutch be adding to that ?
Now, just a note, I dont always change the filter 1)due to finances, 2) due to frequent changes. Is it possible that the filter is so dirty that no oil passes and then the clutch contributes to the black ? Whenever I opened up parts of the engine, all looked pretty clean, and no sludge. Oil pressure is good, and no tapping from the engine. Am I missing something ?
How many miles on that filter?

I mean, it's a very bad practice to begin with. A dirty filter provides no filtration, and thus no safety for your engine. It's worth the $5 filter, every time.

·
If only it had 6th gear..
1,100 Posts
Yeah man its the old filter causing that. I don't know how frequently ur changing the oil but if u can't afford the filter id rather u just go a little longer b4 changing it. The new oils now should allow running longer between changes, but the profit margin has to be upheld ya know. My old chevys and other $#!1boxes I'd go 8 to 10k and this was the recommended sched. I know, newer engines with closer tolerances etc etc. But c'mon some of it is bs..... hmmm, don't know how this turned into a rant but eh, run it a bit longer till u can afford the filter otherwise I think you're wasting money.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I change my filter and oil at the same time and I noticed the same thing. Goes black really quick!

·
Registered
450 Posts
It's completly normal to change color quick, that is why color never matters! When oil oxidizes, it turns dark/black. In your crank case there are only 2 things, oil and air, and they mix rapidly! When they mix they also produce a gas/vapor, thus the use for emissons to burn the gas to less the harm to the enviroment.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How many miles on that filter?
Only about 800, but I wanted to change at least the oil a few times at shorter intervals because I recently had some gas in the oil (stuck float), and couldnt afford a filter for each 200mi change (I live off of $30/week). I normally change the filter with oil at normal intervals, but like I said, I thought that mebbe the gas was causing the quick blackness, or my slipping clutch was. When I first got the bike, and did a change, wasnt until about 50-60 miles that it began to get dicolored. These ARE however "detergent" oils. I suppose "dirty" just means its doing its job. Id just hoped on saving a few bucks on filters (was flushing it with diesel).
Anyone here old enough to have ever used a non-detergent ? (ie straight 30, 40, etc). I used it in mowers and such until it became hard to find (was 1/2 the price !).
Gonna try to borrow $20 on Monday and do a full change, in case Im able to make Americade. Gotta do the splines and rear too (my rear fluid is disgusting). Brakes and clutch gonna need to wait.

·
If only it had 6th gear..
1,100 Posts
true, detergent oil will darken quickly

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
Only about 800, but I wanted to change at least the oil a few times at shorter intervals because I recently had some gas in the oil (stuck float), and couldnt afford a filter for each 200mi change (I live off of $30/week). I normally change the filter with oil at normal intervals, but like I said, I thought that mebbe the gas was causing the quick blackness, or my slipping clutch was. When I first got the bike, and did a change, wasnt until about 50-60 miles that it began to get dicolored. These ARE however "detergent" oils. I suppose "dirty" just means its doing its job. Id just hoped on saving a few bucks on filters (was flushing it with diesel).
Anyone here old enough to have ever used a non-detergent ? (ie straight 30, 40, etc). I used it in mowers and such until it became hard to find (was 1/2 the price !).
Gonna try to borrow $20 on Monday and do a full change, in case Im able to make Americade. Gotta do the splines and rear too (my rear fluid is disgusting). Brakes and clutch gonna need to wait.
I ended up getting 33 oil filters in a lot for under $2 each. They're the 85-9x style (bigger). I'd be happy to send you a few on the house. :smiley_th

Reactions: Wolfie

·
Registered
195 Posts
:smiley_thNice gesture thtanner:smiley_th

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank, brother...but no need to....my guardian Angel came to the rescue with 5 qts Castrol and a brandynew filter. All I need now is a day w/o rain so's I can warm her up before changing.
Thanks again for the offer though !...much appreciated and noted. :smiley_th:beerchug:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts