Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys - I've had a small oil leak from somewhere around my rear cylinder for some time but it hasn't been a huge problem until now. As I was riding today my engine started smoking bad when I pulled up to a stoplight. Pulled over and saw what seemed to be coolant dripping down from the left side of the rear cylinder onto the exhaust. Rode it back home and couldn't find any coolant leak but noticed the oil leak may have been getting worse and there was a small pool of oil under the rear ACCT. I let the engine run to try to locate the source of the leak (or leaks?) but couldn't find anything. Maybe it only leaks when driving or at higher RPMs? My first thought was that the ACCT was leaking but there was also some oil under the rear right side spark plug housing. Are these common areas for oil leaks? I also don't know where the coolant came from, I'm really hoping I don't have a blown head gasket or something that would cause coolant to get in the oil. I checked the oil and coolant reservoir and couldn't see any sign of the two fluids mixing. The coolant level was a bit low but it might have been that way for a while.
Any help would be great, this is my first bike and I'm still learning my way around it. 85 vn700 if that helps. Thanks!

·
Registered
8,237 Posts
The steel coolant tube has an o-ring where it goes into the top of the head.

The deep spark plug well has an o-ring, if this leaks there's a weep hole at the lower rear area of the cylinder toward the side with the deep plug well. The hole is about 12mm diameter and will leak oil if the o-ring fails, you'll also see oil down inside the plug well.

If it's actually leaking coolant and oil from one area, good chance it's the cylinder base gasket, where the cylinder meets the crankcase.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! It's not the steel coolant tube (although I had to replace the gasket on that earlier) and I'm pretty sure it's not the cylinder base gasket, as the coolant was dripping down onto my exhaust pipe. I'll look more into the spark plug well and weep hole. Is the weep hole on the back of the engine?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts