Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please, someone knows which is the normal oil consumtion. What you prefer or use, mineral oil or semisintetic oil, what's the best ?. Thank you.:notworthy

·
Avid Rider
279 Posts
Personally, I think synthetic is best, but I also think that the normal stuff is fine too as long as you change it regularly like you should.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
I prefer the synthetic also. I use it in both my Vulcan and my KLX dirtbike.
Have never had any troubles with it.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I don't use much oil in between changes.
Some, but not much. By the time the oil is near the bottom of the site glass, it's usually time to change it.

·
239 Posts
Same here

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
i use regular all year round, much cheaper! oil consumption? almost nothing....

·
Registered
553 Posts
i use regular all year round, much cheaper! oil consumption? almost nothing....
Till you fry your stator.;) Mobil,Amsoil or Redline will outclass any petro oil out there but unless you ride in extremes or put a ton of miles on every year some guys are better served with reular oil and frequent changes. No consumption here either.

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
well i have heard debates on either side that says the other doesnt get rid of heat as well as the other.... my stator died due to extremes (105 that day and stuck in traffic for an hour at <15mph). but all in all i do not see much evidence leading to added benifit from syn except that it gains .5-2 hp depending on engine size.....i do recomend a top teir dyno though... i use catrol gtx regular....

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
I have no oil consumption, I have used normal oil all the time, I change it ever 2 to 3 k.

·
Stranger Than Fiction
151 Posts
Anyone ever tried Royal Purple? We switched to it at work for out fleet vehicles and I kind of have mixed emotions about it. Anyone have any input??

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
Anyone ever tried Royal Purple? We switched to it at work for out fleet vehicles and I kind of have mixed emotions about it. Anyone have any input??

yeah.... its too $$$. i mean come on my local auto store carries it for 6.50 a qt......with 2.5 quarts i can do a full oil change with dino, and replace the oil filter lol

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
I like the Shell Rotella T Synthetic. Walmart has it for around $15 a gallon.
Most important thing is change the oil before it loses it's viscosity. Dino drops in protection capability before a good synthetic does so it needs changing more often. But both can offer plenty of protection if kept changed before it reaches it's limit.
If you want to read all about oil and make your own choice, check out this writeup. http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Oils1.html

It doesn't matter what my opinion is or anyone else's for that matter, when it comes to the right oil to use. What ever you decide, make a decision and then keep it changed and fresh. That's basically all you need to know.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Fergy's on the money as usual. Here is another document from Amsoil called the white paper Read into it what you will but from the test most syns are better than Dino.http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g2156.pdf

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
I like the Shell Rotella T Synthetic. Walmart has it for around $15 a gallon.
not bad, that just may convert me! before i tried castrol syn, and i felt a lil more pep, but i didnt think it was worth the 23 bucks for oil alone.... i wonder if you can order that suff in a case offline somewhere... gonna look. I put 1000-1300 miles on my bike a month, so oil adds up in my wallet.

On a side note to this thread, use a quality oil filter as well. I use a purolator pure one, and change it every 2 changes in the winter, fall, and spring, and ever change in the hot summer...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Use regular and I ride alot with no noticeable consumption between changes which occurs religiously every 3,000 miles.

Jeff

1 - 14 of 14 Posts