Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had changed my oil in my 04 vn750 last year when it started to get clod . Road for about a 1000 miles and then parked in garage. I changed at 7000 on bike and was wondering do you change your oil and the first of the riding season or can I atleast get another 1000 miles or 2000 before considering a oil change.

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
Me, lots of other riders I know, change our oil at the end of the "cold" as we start riding regularly.

What you can get away with and/or what you should do, I'm going to leave for others....

·
Registered
40 Posts
OIL is cheap...engine repairs are costly....you do the math...I change every year after Im done riding and before I ride again...why have all that condensation moisture and particles it picked up from sitting, go thru the engine..just change it..I also just switched from 15w-40 rotella to 15w-40 valvoline premium blue dino...no problems ..plus it's buy two gallons and get one free @ autozone...or 11.99 each if you only buy one..

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
OIL is cheap...engine repairs are costly....you do the math...I change every year after Im done riding and before I ride again...why have all that condonsation moisture and particles it picked up from sitting, go thru the engine..just cahnge it..I also jusy switched from 15w-40 rotella to 15w-40 valvoline premium blue dino...no problems ..plus it's buy two gallons and get one free @ autozone...or 11.99 each if you only buy one..
I do the same... also do this with lawnmowers and snow blowers

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
More is better. Changes, that is.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I usually run kaw oil and filter 20w 50 i believe what would you recommend. this is my first bike and second year of riding thanks. I saw mobil 1 syn for motocyles but a little pricey $10 a quart... our bikes hold 5 quarts with filter I thinking

·
Registered
40 Posts
where do you live..if you not in the desert..20w-50 too much oil..
my suggestions are:
Rotella 5w-40 synthetic
Rotella 15w-40 dino
Valvoline Blue 15w-40 dino
Mobil Delvac 1300 15w-40 dino
Chevron Delo 15w-40 dino

can't go wrong..with any of these...

filter bosch 3323

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
I usually run kaw oil and filter 20w 50 i believe what would you recommend. this is my first bike and second year of riding thanks. I saw mobil 1 syn for motocyles but a little pricey $10 a quart... our bikes hold 5 quarts with filter I thinking
Uh-oh! Looks like another oil thread in the works! If you'll do a search, there is lots of information about filters and various oil opinions. Everyone has a favorite oil, so you'd get a variety of responses. Think everyone agrees the Kawi filter is good, but there are others out there that aren't nearly so expensive ($14 at my local stealership!) and also do a good job.

·
Calif Rider
725 Posts
I ride all year round, it all depends where you live. If your bike sits all winter it would likely be good to change every year. Me I go with the 3000 mile recommendation. Mine is due now,I have 3200 miles for the change. waiting for the weather to get a little better.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
No on the 5 quarts w/filter Actually 4 quarts w/filter will overfill a bit, and most I think only put 3-1/2 to 3-3/4 quarts in, but anyway the oil I use is 5w-40 Rotella "T" Synthetic and comes in 1-gal containers and I just dump that amount in, change on 3,000 mi intervals (usually equals 2 changes per year) and I use the longer pureOne oil filter... (same 3K on my truck & car)
All my small engines (push mower, power washer, tiller etc.) I do on a yearly basis, except my 60" 2 cyl. zero mower has an hour meter and I have been changing it every 25 hrs. but am thinking about going to every 50 hrs., its an 89 model and has well over 1000 hrs. on it and still going strong, knock on wood...
Thats just what I do, you will have to deside for yourself which weight & changes best suits the weather and your riding habits..
PS-Charlie...???? http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4161 Where did you find the Shell Rotella "T" 15w-40 Synthetic...????
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Registered
363 Posts
I was reading the article that easyrector had the link to . a lot of good information.
I have never had the oil light com on after changing my oil . My dad told me manny moons ago that when you change the oil , before you plut the oil filter back on pour some oil in the filter to precharge the filter so you dont get that split second (dry start)
oil is allready in the filter that way . i have been doing this since he told me. in my eyes , its good advice. kindof think i should taken his advice on a few more things too.
oh well , live and learn.

dragonrider
ride long and ride safe

·
Rider on the Storm
1,287 Posts
Oil Changing Procedure ~ A Work in Progress

PS-Charlie...???? http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4161 Where did you find the Shell Rotella "T" 15w-40 Synthetic...????
Thanks, Dog. There is Shell Rotella T 15W-40, a favorite of riders on this site. There is also Rotella Synthetic 5W-40. Here's a link that mentions it ~ http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Consumables.html; and here's a post from someone who used it in a VN 800 ~ http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/kawasaki-cruisers/30168-rotella-t-5w-40-synthetic-vn800a.html.

As for the oil changing procedure (post # 1 at http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4161)... I try to keep it up-to-date, accurate, complete, and clear. To that end, I welcome suggestions and/or corrections! (Of course, I won't necessarily list every single oil or filter suggestion!)

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Yes Charlie, I use the Shell Rotella T 5w-40 Synthetic in my bike, but as far as I know there in no Shell Rotella T 15w-40 Synthetic, the Shell Rotella T 15w-40 I know of is Dino oil... I used it years ago in my 426 Hemi, and it was (is) a popular truck oil, but as far as I know not Synthetic, but Dino oil...
Yes Dragonrider, pre oiling the filter has always seemed to be a good practice, especially one that sets vertical...
Thanks and have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
Haynes says change oil every 6,000 miles cold climate SAE 10w40 or 10w50 warm climate SAE 20W40 or 20W50.
I go with 20W50 all yr round change at about 3,000 to 4,000 miles.

·
D2u
175 Posts
5 quarts? I changed my oil and filter was like a tad bit over 3 quarts to put the level half way up the window.Right where it should be.

·
Registered
950 Posts
I read on here that our oil level should be just to the top of the window, not the middle. and even then with the filter changed it is only like 4 quarts.

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts
I change my oil AND FILTER every 3,000 miles. There is no good reason to change the oil and not the filter when you can buy a filter for under 3 bucks.

The oil level should be adjusted so when the bike is level there should be just a hint of an air bubble at the top of the window.( this done after the bike has been warmed up but allowed to rest for 5-10 minutes)

From what I have observed it is better to have a bit too much than a bit too little oil. The 4 liter mark on the case will be too much.... Awhile back we contacted Kawasaki about this and were told that one should go by the oil window and not the quantity marked in the book or the engine case.
I always pour a bit of oil into the new filter before screwing it on , this seems to help avoid getting an air bubble in the filter...which can cause the oil light to stay on after you start the bike.

(Yes, because of the angle the filter mounts, you will lose a bit of the oil you put in the filter before you can tighten it down. just prepare for it and you won't make a mess)

KM

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
OIL is cheap...engine repairs are costly....you do the math...I change every year after Im done riding and before I ride again...why have all that condensation moisture and particles it picked up from sitting, go thru the engine..just change it..I also just switched from 15w-40 rotella to 15w-40 valvoline premium blue dino...no problems ..plus it's buy two gallons and get one free @ autozone...or 11.99 each if you only buy one..
Well tickman, now you know what starting an oil thread can do. You have enough oil change advice to last you 2 lifetimes! I think after reading the foregoing thread and various links, that you have enough info to decide, based on what kind of riding you do, to choose the oil, filter and frequency of changes for your bike.

If I could find the Wal-Mart ST long filter (identical to and made by Champion, sells for $6+) here in Canada (don`t have number at my finger tips, but Easy Rector mentions it in his oil change directions link), that`s the one I would use for~$2 each. 3,000 mile oil changes is the frequency that most of us older guys grew up with , and hold onto like it`s scripture. I`m sure there are many improved synthetic oils available that are entirely suitable for 6,000 mile drops that someone mentioned earlier, was what Kawi says is recommended.

Regarding the quote from 2001Vulcan, I`m not one who believes you need to change the oil out again in the spring, if the bike was stored over the winter with fresh oil installed shortly before being stored. IMHO, any moisture in the crankcase will be evaporated with the first good ride of an hour or so in the spring. I do not know how the oil will pick up any additional "particles" while sitting over the winter. However if it makes one feel better doing so, go for it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts