Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Gnarly Jokester
1,796 Posts
Confirm the VN750 oil change uses around 3.4 - 3.5 Quarts of oil. Just changed Lena's oil and used Castrol GTX 10-40, she loved it. Thanks Easy R
for reminding me that Castrol GTX is about the only dyno motor oil that is good for mc's, but I will be changing it after 1-2K or so.

Had a Quart of Castrol gear oil 75w-90, 100% synthetic laying around so I used it for the final drive even though I just purchased 30 quarts of Redline
100% genuine synthetic gear oil for all my vehicles. That final drive oil put in at the factory sure looked dirty and nasty after only 1100 miles. The Amzoil web site recommends that dyno gear oil is used for the first 2K or so before putting in synthetic, but that sounds a bit much.

Am sold on Redline, but the Redline motor oil is a bit extravagent, and I haven't decided what synthetic I will be using once Lena's valves are seated comfy.

·
Rider on the Storm
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
A brief interjection...

I will continue noting all the posts on this topic for a while longer. When the energy dissipates, I will revise my oil changing procedure (at the beginning of this thread) and post the final draft.

Obviously, there are endless opinions/experiences on even this simple procedure, so I don't suppose there will ever be "definitive" guide to changing the oil on a VN 750!

I REALLY appreciate everyone sharing their opinions/wisdom!

·
Registered
143 Posts
good write up. i printed it out and used today for my 1st oil change. i used castol syntec 10w40 says its not the energy crap. cost about 4.50 p/qt at advanced auto. used a pl14610 filter and did the spray paint. oil light went right out and she seems to be running great. i also changed out brake fluid and gave her a bath for good measure.

·
Drive less, ride more...
1,114 Posts
You could add the dino version of Shell Rotella (15W-40) to your list of oils, as well. This oil is now labelled as "Triple Protection" on the bottle. Bikers on other forums I have visited have reported excellent results (even <<gulp!>> Harleys, too) with this oil.

·
Rider on the Storm
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
my first oil change

I had the oil/filter changed at these mileage markers: 842, 3160, 3801, and 5465. I wish that I had changed the oil myself earlier and more often. The first time I changed it myself was today, at 5465, and I found pieces of shaved aluminum on the filter screen! It makes me wonder if the two dealers who did the initial three changes bothered to clean the screen. In any case, I will do it myself from now on.

Question #1: No one has said anything about cleaning the oil screen with the high flash-point solvent suggested in the manual. Does anyone do that? Or do you just wipe it off?

Question #2: It was suggested that the oil drain plug be tightened to the specified torque of 13 pounds to avoid stripping it. I use one of those Sears Craftsman torque wrenches with the twin bars and the red needle that doesn't seem to give that specific of a reading. All I know is that I tightened the drain plug somewhere within the range of 12-20 lbs. Should I get a more expensive torque wrench, or is OK to simply be in the ballpark?

·
Registered
33 Posts
i have found that if you drain the oil with the bike on the sidestand and wait till it all comes out then lean the bike back to level and then put it back on the sidestand you will get quite a bit more oil out i repeat this 3or4 times and managed to get almost 4 qts back in the bike also amsoil and k+n make nice looking chrome filters

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Question #1: No one has said anything about cleaning the oil screen with the high flash-point solvent suggested in the manual. Does anyone do that? Or do you just wipe it off?
A little late gettin' to ya here, but here's my thoughts on this...
I've just used my air compressor, at low pressure, to blow the stuff off the screen. If I were to see 'stuff' built up on it, I'd probably soak or spray it with brake cleaner or something similar, then blow it off again.

Question #2: Should I get a more expensive torque wrench, or is OK to simply be in the ballpark?
If it shows 12, just go about the thickness of the indicator point past that and ya should be fine. I'd stay away from the 20 end of the scale. Sometimes just that much too much can sieze it enough to give ya problems at the next change.

And good point on tipping the bike back and forth Taylor :smiley_th
Always best to get as much as ya can out before adding fresh.

·
Straight roads are evil
580 Posts
I change the oil every 3k miles, or 4-5 times a year. (I ride a lot.) I check the screen every change, but have never seen anything on it.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
First time I changed the oil in my 1500 when I pulled out the screen and such I freeked! It was all in there backwards. I was thinking what kind of damage the PO had done to the bike. I decided to go in the house and look up the diagrams and sure enough, it was right. It goes in there opposite how the 750 does. So, any of you that help a brother or sister with their bigger cruiser, you might want to look up the diagrams to make sure you know how it goes!

Once again Charlie, nice job on this thread!:beerchug:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hey EasyRector just wanted to say thank you!

Did my first oil change today and it went off without a hitch. Don't think it would have gone as smoothly had it not been for your write up.

Thanks again!

·
1992 Vulcan 750
69 Posts
I recently took my VN750 to a local mechanic for some maintenance (sadly, a battery check was not part of the deal, as I found out last Sunday). Anyway, I told them that I'd do the oil myself when they said it would be $100 in parts and labor ($82/hour) for the oil change. On my end, it cost me about $20 for oil and filter, plus an hour or so to do the change.

Some just like doing this themselves and find satisfaction in doing it. Is there a cost savings to doing your own oil change? If so how much?

·
Registered
411 Posts
I recently took my VN750 to a local mechanic for some maintenance (sadly, a battery check was not part of the deal, as I found out last Sunday). Anyway, I told them that I'd do the oil myself when they said it would be $100 in parts and labor ($82/hour) for the oil change. On my end, it cost me about $20 for oil and filter, plus an hour or so to do the change.
Anyone who'd agree to that had best save a couple of dabs of that oil for a rear-end lube and find an appropriate-height table to bend over...

--FA

·
Benjammin'
421 Posts
Couple of comments/questions;

I last changed my oil using Shell Rotella T synthetic 5W-40 (that's right- 5W). I have not seen 15W-40 Shell Rotella T synthetic. Is the 5W Ok in the bike?

Also, great job on the step-by-step procedure for oil change. Any chance there is a similar procedure and recommendation for the oil in the driveshaft (not the splines)? Since spline lubrication is so important, I would think the correct lubrication in the shaft would also be.

Good stuff!!!

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
You are fine with the 5w40 Rotella. It's a 40 weight oil that unless you are in arctic temps, will just act like a 10W40 would. The bottom number only comes into play in really frigid temps, and then it only stays that way until the engine starts to warm. You're fine! As far as the final drive oil, I'm pretty sure that info is in the verses, as I've gotten it from somewhere here, but probably someone will offer up that info soon.

·
Rider on the Storm
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Just changed my oil/filter. I can't describe the sweet, satisfied feeling, but purging the dark, toxic sludge and replacing it with clear, pristine oil, and screwing on a fresh filter... all this TLC must be a sensual or mystical metaphor for something... ;)

·
Premium Member
4,866 Posts
Just changed my oil/filter. I can't describe the sweet, satisfied feeling, but purging the dark, toxic sludge and replacing it with clear, pristine oil, and screwing on a fresh filter... all this TLC must be a sensual or mystical metaphor for something... ;)
Charlie, you been sniffing too may oil fumes? :) LOL. Yes, there's something very satisfying about knowing your baby's running on fresh oil. Not sure about the metaphor, it just feels good and gives you a feeling of security knowing you are doing all you can to maximize her time with you.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
You know how it feels when you have drank a lot of liquid, and to have been holding "it" for what seems like an eternity, and you can't find anywhere to "go", and finally to get the opportunity to "go" and it's like.... AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH......, I'm thinking that's what your bike would be saying, if it could talk. :smiley_th

21 - 40 of 56 Posts