Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Gnarly Jokester
1,796 Posts
Oil change

Thanks for the Oil change write up. I agree with a lot of the write up and learned a few pointers too.

My stealership advised me to drain the oil from Lena using the very bottom bolt in order to get all the oil out.

Found a very interesting site on Oil, I learned a lot from it. Especially why
MC oils are better than other oils.

Here is one question in the article:

Q: WHY ARE MOTORCYCLE SPECIFIC OILS BETTER?
A: Motorcycle specific oils are pumped up with five times the anti-wear, anti-scuff and extreme pressure additives of regular motor oil. As an added plus, motorcycle oil does not include molybdenum disulfide and other friction modifiers that wreak havoc on clutch performance.

The article:
http://www.thumperfaq.com/oil.htm

·
Gnarly Jokester
1,796 Posts
Probably why my stealership uses the bottom drain plug is because they
don't bother cleaning the screen? I know on my KAW KLR 650 many riders
don't always clean the screen.

·
Gnarly Jokester
1,796 Posts
Thanks for the tip on the K&N Oil filter, will have to find one. What color is it?

Since this is an Oil Change thread here is a pic of the Oil Gypsy used.

If I could find this Pennsylvania oil I would use it. The Kendal Oil Company is 125 years old this year.

·
Gnarly Jokester
1,796 Posts
Confirm the VN750 oil change uses around 3.4 - 3.5 Quarts of oil. Just changed Lena's oil and used Castrol GTX 10-40, she loved it. Thanks Easy R
for reminding me that Castrol GTX is about the only dyno motor oil that is good for mc's, but I will be changing it after 1-2K or so.

Had a Quart of Castrol gear oil 75w-90, 100% synthetic laying around so I used it for the final drive even though I just purchased 30 quarts of Redline
100% genuine synthetic gear oil for all my vehicles. That final drive oil put in at the factory sure looked dirty and nasty after only 1100 miles. The Amzoil web site recommends that dyno gear oil is used for the first 2K or so before putting in synthetic, but that sounds a bit much.

Am sold on Redline, but the Redline motor oil is a bit extravagent, and I haven't decided what synthetic I will be using once Lena's valves are seated comfy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts