Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My local Advance Auto is running a special on Mobil1. Buy 5 quarts and ANY Mobil1 filter for $29.99. So I got 5 qts of 5W-40 and a high capacity M1-110 filter. It would have been ~$39 for 4 qts and the filter at regular price. So essentially I got the filter and an extra quart of oil for free!

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Don't use it in your bike or you will burn up your clutch.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
KM - I know you're kidding here... If it's not rated for motorcycle wet clutches, full synth is so slippery our clutch will slip.

·
San Diego Vulcan Rider
163 Posts
I haven't heard that here before. The main caveat is to avoid "Energy Conserving" types. (ala 10-30). I've heard no other complaints about synth.

·
85 VN 700
1,033 Posts
Not true DT.

If it's API Energy conserving it should not be used - because it'll cause the clutch to slip.

There's a reason so many of us use Rotella T synthetic with no issues (rated for diesel trucks).

A link that's been posted here and other places should clear it up:
http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Consumables.html

To sum it up - DON'T use ANY oil that's rated as energy conserving - it'll fark up your wet clutch.

I'm sure amsoil man will come in and let us know that amsoil is the only real synthetic or whatever.... but mobil 1 and shell rotella T in the appropriate blends have been used by many members here for many thousand miles.

·
Registered
572 Posts
ive heard of that and i sort of believe it... my dads clutch slips in his intruder and he runs mobil 1

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I followed the above links and they took me to the motorcycle version of full synth - great stuff. What I cautioned about was using off the shelf synth made for cars. I use Lucas full synth for motorcycles and will never go back to dino.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
From the Mobil site...

"So how is Mobil 1 for passenger cars different from Mobil 1 for motorcycles?

It's a little hard to generalize about the difference between Mobil 1 passenger-car motor oils and Mobil 1 motorcycle oils. That's because not all viscosities of Mobil 1 passenger-car oils have the same levels of zinc and phosphorus, and there are even greater differences among the three Mobil 1 motorcycle oils. In general, Mobil 1 motorcycle oils have:

* Additive packages balanced differently for motorcycle engine and transmission operation. For passenger vehicles, fuel economy and emission system protection are higher priorities. These require low phosphorus systems and the use of friction modifiers. Motorcycle oils do not require friction modifiers for fuel economy and for better clutch friction less/no friction modifier is optimum. Motorcycle oils allow the use of higher levels of antiwear additives such as ZDDP (phosphorous)."

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
From the calsci site on oil...

"Mobil-1 automotive oils all contain small amounts of moly - about 100 to 200 ppm. This can cause clutch slippage in some motorcycles. "

I'll stick with the motorcycle rated oils.

·
Super Moderator
11,860 Posts
Not true DT.

If it's API Energy conserving it should not be used - because it'll cause the clutch to slip.

There's a reason so many of us use Rotella T synthetic with no issues (rated for diesel trucks).

A link that's been posted here and other places should clear it up:
http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Consumables.html

To sum it up - DON'T use ANY oil that's rated as energy conserving - it'll fark up your wet clutch.

I'm sure amsoil man will come in and let us know that amsoil is the only real synthetic or whatever.... but mobil 1 and shell rotella T in the appropriate blends have been used by many members here for many thousand miles.

This from your own link:
"Mobil-1 automotive oils all contain small amounts of moly - about 100 to 200 ppm. This can cause clutch slippage in some motorcycles. I've only heard of this being a problem in Honda Shadows."

So it is quite plausable that one can have clutch slippage using Mobil 1 oil...the key, and that is exactly why I posted the link I did...is to use their motorcycle specific oils.
As it seems here, you need to be specific yourself when talking about oil. Every company makes several diffrent types for various uses. Dirtbikers comment was then, not specific, but a un-true general statement..Mobil One does not cause your clutch to slip....unless you use the wrong one...
So watch out for those "urban legend" causing generalizations...be specific and include tests or facts.
I would not use 5w-40 Mobile 1 in my bike. They make a very highly rated oil for motorcycles that was formulated specificly for bikes. I do not see how you can do better than that...(despite what Amsoil Dude says)
5w is just a bit too thin for a big engine like ours...(MY opinion)

KM

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I am one who has had slippage using the wrong oil in my GL500. I used a blend and noticed clutch problems straight away. Drained it, saved it for other uses, and re-filled it with Lucas MC oil.
KM- thanks for keeping me on track

·
Registered
142 Posts
So what is the recommended oil? I'm getting ready to do an oil change in the next week and am glad I read this post first....

·
Super Moderator
11,860 Posts
So what is the recommended oil? I'm getting ready to do an oil change in the next week and am glad I read this post first....
Did you miss my post?
http://tinyurl.com/ysv7gj

Or, if you wish to keep costs low, I been using non-synthetic Shell Rotella T 15w40 for years , available at Wal Mart.

KM

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK - good discussion. What I am hearing is that I should save the 5 qts of Mobil1 I bought (and got such a good deal!) and use it in my car and get some MC specific oil (Mobil1 or other). Sad part is I did my due dilligence and searched this forum for the recommended oils and Mobil1 was listed. And the post did not say it needed to be MC specific. Has anyone used the regular Mobil1 in a VN750 and experienced clutch slippage?

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I sure like the Lucas products for MC and Royal Purple if you can find them on sale.

·
Registered
166 Posts
You know I cannot believe what I read from most bikers.They dont even know the difference between AUTO oil or MOTORCYCLE oil.I have tried to inform people to what they should use for the best results for thier investment.I have hear stories here about thier bike using 1or 2 qts of oil per change.only 25,000 miles on it.Or MY BIKE RUNS HOT..Well da!Im just really suprised that smart people would just turn their cheek to the STUFF that worked 50yrs ago is good enough for them..Come out of the Ice age and get connected to the future.Ask Rouse racing.They have used nothing BUT AMSOIL products( in all of their whole cars)for 13yrs now.Well if anyone wants to get informed and no hear say please contact myself for the info. Putting car oil in a wet clutch engine case!!!!!!!!
Amsoil man.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts