Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I have been thinking about this for a while, mainly due to the fact that I cant seem to find a decently priced headlight assembly with the right mounting ear, and I also like to do small custom touches that i havent seen before. My question is has anyone heard of or used a 6 inch offroad light as a headlight? I spent most of the night tonight fabbing up a bracket that would attach to the lower triple tree clamp bolts and mount a light in between the horns, giving me the option to use almost any single stud type mounted light as a headlight. I think this would do two things. One it would end my search for all the stuff i need to get a working factory headlight, and two it would add a little custom touch that i have not seen much. Let me know what you guys think, I will attach some pics to this post probably tommorrow when i get the cardboard mock up right. After that its off to the metal shop to get it cut and bent so i can paint it and hang it! On a side note, does anyone know the watt and amp draw of the factory headlight? I want to make sure I dont burn my bike to the ground if I get a light with to much draw.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Hello all, I have been thinking about this for a while, mainly due to the fact that I cant seem to find a decently priced headlight assembly with the right mounting ear, and I also like to do small custom touches that i havent seen before. My question is has anyone heard of or used a 6 inch offroad light as a headlight? I spent most of the night tonight fabbing up a bracket that would attach to the lower triple tree clamp bolts and mount a light in between the horns, giving me the option to use almost any single stud type mounted light as a headlight. I think this would do two things. One it would end my search for all the stuff i need to get a working factory headlight, and two it would add a little custom touch that i have not seen much. Let me know what you guys think, I will attach some pics to this post probably tommorrow when i get the cardboard mock up right. After that its off to the metal shop to get it cut and bent so i can paint it and hang it! On a side note, does anyone know the watt and amp draw of the factory headlight? I want to make sure I dont burn my bike to the ground if I get a light with to much draw.
Just make sure you have a dual element bulb,or you could have a surprise on a dark night .
I could be wrong but I think the stock light is a 60 watt/50 watt combo high/ low rating at least the is what I had in my 750 with no ill effects.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No i dont think i will adding anything more to the bike, except for maybe a cigarette lighter type plug in for gps or something. I was also thinking of using the clear alternatives led kit for the brake light to free up some more power for a brighter light if i need to go that route. Does anyone have any ideas on what light to use? The bracket im making is for the single stud on the bottom type mounting, preferably 6 inch diameter. Thanks for the help yalls!

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
look at my sig pic, I am running a 6" off raod light, with 55w and 150w h3 bulbs... I had to do a little modding to get the second bulb in, but it works great.

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
ordered my hid conversion today that lance was using, anyone know if he ever got the write up done on it although it sounded basically plug and play.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts