Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
1994 VN 750
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for help on installation. Bought it used from ebay but no instructions. Looks like there are clips on the front that hook to the headlight, not sure exactly where. I know there are a few of you out there that have these...any help or suggestions????

·
If only it had 6th gear..
1,100 Posts
Do you have any pics of it. Wondering if anything is missing

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
yes picture please.. I am not aware of an OEM windshield for the VN750... even the Tour-Pac Faring was aftermarket. And the KF&S Windshield is made by National Cycle.

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
Looking for help on installation. Bought it used from ebay but no instructions. Looks like there are clips on the front that hook to the headlight, not sure exactly where. I know there are a few of you out there that have these...any help or suggestions????
My windshield mounts to the side of the headlight on each side. You have to remove the chrome bolt and replace it with a barrel bolt. The threaded part of the barrel bolt goes back into the headlight bucket. The windshield bracket then is thru bolted into the barrel bolt with a 1/4-20 allen head screw. Thats how my F/S windshield attaches.

·
1994 VN 750
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I figured it out, I was send too much hardware with it, that's what screwed me up! For you guys who never saw one here's the part # you can do a search until I can upload pics. Batteries in my camera are dead!

Kawasaki OEM windshield p/n 46001-010A

·
romeobravo172
842 Posts
Is actually easy to install, but will have to adjust it to fit you, ride-adjust,ride -adjust till you are happy with it! I think this applies to most wind screens, every rider is different.

·
Super Moderator
11,820 Posts
Not really OEM , just a windscreen they sold as an accessory that fit several models. I think it was called the V-Star windscreen....(or something simular)

I at least always consider "OEM" to only be items that came stock. The bike did not come with a windscreen...

·
1994 VN 750
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yep, I digress and hold out my hand to be slapped for improper use of "OEM" LOL, but you knew what I meant...thanks!

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
no we didn't since there were at least 3 different shields offered in the KF&S line up. and ebay sells what the seller claims to be Factory Shields, but are in fact either Nation Cycles, Slipstreamer, or Taiwanese knock offs.

·
Prowling Tiger
2,048 Posts
Not really OEM , just a windscreen they sold as an accessory that fit several models. I think it was called the V-Star windscreen....(or something simular)

I at least always consider "OEM" to only be items that came stock. The bike did not come with a windscreen...
OEM simply means Original Equipment Manufacturer. So if Kawasaki manufactured the windscreen, regardless if it was on the bike originally or not, then it is OEM. True can be said about any vehicle manufacturer.

·
If only it had 6th gear..
1,100 Posts
The word is "stock" I believe, and as stated the VN750 did not come with a stock windshield. Good luck with it though, seems like a decent one. I had a hellcat on mine. I like them small and below line of sight, just enough to cut some of the wind pressure.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
correct and like i said Kawasaki never made a windshield for our bikes... they outsourced another manufacturer's shield and slapped on a Kawasaki Fire & Steel badge to effectively raise the price... Hence it is not stock or Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM).

·
Prowling Tiger
2,048 Posts
Just to clear things up:

"Original equipment manufacturer (OEM): a company that designs and specifies products under its own company name and brand. Traditionally, OEMs design products, purchase components from suppliers, operate their own manufacturing plants, and handle sales, service and support activities, but many of those functions are being outsourced today." (http://www.assemblymag.com/articles/86529-glossary-of-contract-manufacturing-terms)

Even though the windshield may have produced by another company, the fact that Kawasaki put their logo on it makes it OEM.

·
Super Moderator
11,820 Posts
Even though the windshield may have produced by another company, the fact that Kawasaki put their logo on it makes it OEM.

Sorry.... your wrong here. By "Original Equipment" they mean equipment that came with the product. Handle bars, even brake pads can be OEM. If the bike did not come with a windscreen as sold publicly, the screen is not "original equipment" and thus can not be OEM for this bike even if Kawasaki made the shield in their factory.

You can only call it an "original" Kawasaki accessory.... It was not "Original Equipment" when the bike was sold...aka "stock"

Guess it matters how you interpet the word "Original".....lol ( like Clinton saying it matters how you interpet the word "sex"...lol)

·
Registered
244 Posts
OEM means it was made for/by the Original Equipment Manufacturer. If the windshield says Kawasaki and was a dealer installed option... It's OEM.

Automakers don't make much, anymore. They are subcontractors and assemblers. almost everything is subbed out.

It's not like the days of Henry Ford making the model T, anymore.

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
OEM means it was made for/by the Original Equipment Manufacturer. If the windshield says Kawasaki and was a dealer installed option... It's OEM.

Automakers don't make much, anymore. They are subcontractors and assemblers. almost everything is subbed out.

It's not like the days of Henry Ford making the model T, anymore.
This is absolutely correct.

Just like the "OEM" spark plugs for my Honda are NGK, and the alternator is a Denso.

·
Super Moderator
11,820 Posts
Sorry. Going to continue to disagree. "Original Equipment" means what came with the bike....to me.;) a dealer can install anything you want.... But I see your point.

And yeah, doesn't mean the bikes maker also made the parts. Ducati's come with Brembo brakes. You can buy replacements from Ducati or from Brembo. Either one I would call OEM brakes.

If you buy a Ducati baseball hat at the dealer, I would not call it an OEM part for your Monster.

Just call me odd then, that's how I see it.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts