Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

You guys have all been lifesavers in the past, and I am eternally grateful of your help.
But, unfortunately, I've run into more tribulations with this wonderful '86 VN750 of mine.
Today I was sitting out in front of my college dorm washing/waxing the bike and winking at the girls walking by, and I decided to spray degreaser all over the engine to shine it up. It worked, but I think I messed something up. It ran and started perfectly before I did this.

Now it will turn over maybe one weak time and then flicker and click when I hit the starter. I bounce started it and took it for a 20 minute ride to see if I could just charge the battery up with the stator, but it still will not start. What do you all think the problem could be? Could water/degreaser have leaked into the stator case?
I am still learning with all of this. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Weak battery... you should get it tested and/or charge it separately.

I had a nice automatic trickle charger for such occasions. Might be something you would want to buy just in case.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking this too, but I just replaced the battery last year! It was working fine and starting up well before I washed it today.

·
Prowling Tiger
2,048 Posts
I don't believe the battery is your issue. My guess would be water got where it shouldn't. I've sprayed my bike down at a car wash with no ill effect. Although, I am careful as to how long I leave the water going on the motor. I'd bet you have water bridging a connection somewhere. Leave the bike out in open air for a while and see if it doesn't start working for you. Or, jump start it and go for another ride. One long enough to get the engine nice and warm. If the bike was suffering from a poor battery, then the engine would be experience spark problems while running.

You jest need to open her up and let the wind do its thing. Take the side covers off and let her breathe.

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
Possibly a loose/dirty cable connection on the starter solenoid (right side cover) and the water forced the issue. Check both ends of both battery cables, and both ends of the cable between the starter and solenoid.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I will give that a try and get back to you

·
Chucklehead
1,050 Posts
Another thought is the brushes on the starter are worn or the springs are weak. There is a simple rebuild kit for that too. I only mention it because I had similar starting issues that were fixed by dealing with the brushes.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys, I bought a batteryminder plus charger and the problem is fixed! sorry it took me so long to get back, it's finals week right now and I'm busting my balls. I'm sure a lot of you know how it feels.

Another thought is the brushes on the starter are worn or the springs are weak. There is a simple rebuild kit for that too. I only mention it because I had similar starting issues that were fixed by dealing with the brushes.
Dragon159, where could I find this rebuild kit?

·
Registered
8,253 Posts

·
Chucklehead
1,050 Posts
Kaw P/N 21039-1053 Found it at www.kawasakipartsnation.com for $45.71 I've been doing alot of parts searching while going through the motor .... was on my list to get.

·
Chucklehead
1,050 Posts
$17+$4 shipping ... Much lower cost than a new starter, if you can install the parts, I don't think they're hard to do myself. Shop around other websites, you may find a lower price, but that should be the lowest on Ebay at the moment.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STARTER-REP...its=Make:Kawasaki&hash=item35bf9bf4b4&vxp=mtr
I'm going to have to get another ebay account and look ....last one got hacked and taken over so I closed it.

The kit is easy if you can work a wrench and screwdriver and watch for little pieces... not neccesarily together either.

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
Definitely, almost all my parts came from Ebay and I'm getting deals not retail.

I saved so many starters and alternators by just putting brushes in... but the bushings will keep it from dragging. Used to be able to buy brushes alone, for almost anything, for a couple of bucks. The brushes for my Craftsman sander are still $1.50.

·
Chasin' the blacktop
1,498 Posts
I'm voting with blazeblue, The day or two it took to get your battery minder probably allowed the water induced short time to dry out. Back when I used to go mud running in jeeps we all learned to keep a can of WD-40 to help disperse water from the electronics when a mud hole caused a temporary electrical short. Same thing after a hose or pressure washer. That or just wait a few days.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts