Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks. I am brand new to this site, but not brand new to motorcycling...I just purchased an 01 vn750 from the original owner. It has about 21k miles and looks well cared for. However , there is an odd rattle or buzz that can be heard at idle and just above idle. It seems to be coming from the area of the rear brake pedal but I can't be sure..I know the old tricks of using a wooden dowel to push directly onto exhaust pipes and other parts, but the noise defies detection. It will rattle a few seconds and stop, then rattles again. Has anyone heard similar noises from their 750 models? It does not seem to affect the way it runs, by the way.. Thanks.:confused::confused:

·
2,506 Posts
1st Welcome to the site. You'll find a lot of good information here. As far as the rattle goes, I'd just feel around until you find it. I know my clutch & brake levers rattle sometimes along with my helmet locks. Also check your center stand. Just a few places to start.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Mine rattles right around where yours seems to. Mine is because one of the fasteners for heat shied on the exhaust pipe is loose, causing the heat shield to rattle. I figured this one out when I put my foot on the heat shield and it stopped rattling. If it happens to be the same thing, there are screws under there that you can turn to tighten the heat shield fasteners. In my case, the screw is rusted and won't budge at all, but yours might turn just fine.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Yup, heat shields was my first thought.

·
Registered
6,439 Posts
Check the radiator too. There's lots of places on that thing that can rattle. Check the top and definitely check the bottom on the foot brake side while it's runnin'.

Oh yeah, and WELCOME!!!!!

·
Calif Rider
725 Posts
Hello like-em-all. There is a lot of info on this sight,but it takes a lot of reading, when you have nothing to do. Where are you located? You maybe able to find you somebody close to you that has a lot of knowledge with this bike. Most are very helpful when they can be.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Welcome to the Vulcan madness.

A couple of long shot ideas for rattle source:
Maybe footpeg bracket loose?
Or broken weld holding small diameter exhaust shield *rod* on brake pedal?

·
The Reanimater
847 Posts
Don't forget the engine mounts bolts or nuts. We've seen a few loosen up an become lost around here on the forum.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Just to throw in my 2 cents...

as far as the heat shield bolts go; if they will not tighten, take a soda can (or beer can, or any thin walled aluminum can) and make a shim that you can force between the holder and the exhaust pipe. this will tighten it up, and you can bend it around the clamp so it will not "drop out" from vibration.

definately X2 on checking all fasteners, and a little thread locker goes a long way.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Nice call on the aluminum can shim. I actually put a small piece of rubber hose between the engine case and the heat shield. I expect it to melt sometime lol but that aluminum can shim should be just fine as long as I place it right so it doesn't rattle too lol. Nice tip! :)

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
Everybody above gave great Ideas, cant think of anything else so Welcome to the group.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Brain against skull? the rocks are so old, they have turned to sand now!!!:beerchug:

·
Registered
6,439 Posts
^ About the ear plugs? Really!?! I thought that was pretty funny. KM, how the hell do you end up with a bad wrap even when you're not being bad?

Uh oh, come to think of it, I poked fun at a couple people this morning. I hope one wasn't like m all! Guess I'll wait to see if I get a PM. And I think it's safe to assume from here on out, that "like m all" refers to motorcycles.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts