Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Skankin' Vulcan
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought my VN750 a week ago and it's been running fine. However, I noticed that when I shift down into first when I'm coming to a stop I hear a not-quite-squealing noise. It's hard to describe and I wanted to take a video but it only happens when the bike is moving and usually only when I have the clutch pulled in and I didn't want to try to operate a camera with all that. I'm almost positive it's not the wheels, the sound fits with the rpms.

Anyone have ideas on what it could be?

Thanks

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Is there any way you could attach the camera to the seat or some other part of the bike to record the sound, even if the camera is not focused on it?

It seems odd to hear the noise with the clutch lever pulled in, rather than with the clutch engaged.
Does the noise come from the right side by the clutch plates?

·
Skankin' Vulcan
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's the link to the video: http://youtu.be/tTpxzJAG8AA

Sorry about the quality, and I must have hit the mute button partway through, but you can definitely hear the sound pretty good around 10-14 seconds. It does it in all gears now and only stops occasionally or if I'm stopped and idling.

Any ideas?

·
Skankin' Vulcan
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here's the link to the video: http://youtu.be/tTpxzJAG8AA

Apparently I hit the mute button abour 20 seconds in, but you can hear the noise really well around 10-14 seconds. It does it all the time now unless I'm stopped. Sometimes it will quit for a few seconds when I'm moving but then it comes back.

I have absolutely no idea and I can't investigate much because it only happens while I'm riding.

Thanks,

combatchuck

·
Skankin' Vulcan
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Third time's a charm. For some reason my posts aren't showing up. Here's the link to the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTpxzJAG8AA

Sorry about the second half, I must have hit the mute button. You can hear the noise pretty well around 10-14 seconds. It's the high pitched one you can hear past the engine. It does it pretty much anytime I'm moving now, so I'm pretty sure it's got something to do with the front wheel rather than the engine, but I can't seem to find anything noticeably wrong with it.

·
Skankin' Vulcan
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fourth time I'm trying to post this. Apparently I can't post video links yet because I'm new. It says it has to be approved by a moderator but from what I've read on here no one will ever approve it. I put the video on youtube so if you go there and search "Weird Noise on VN750 it should pop up right at the top. My username is similar (combatchuck1234). You can hear the high pitched sound fairly well around 10-14 secs. After that I think I hit the mute button.

I'm pretty sure it's a wheel thing at this point because it's doing it almost constantly when I'm moving. However, because I can't get it to do it when it's not moving, I have no way of checking to see what's wrong. Nothing is visible on the front tire so I'm not sure what to do.

Thoughts?

·
Prowling Tiger
2,048 Posts
That sounds normal to me. Shaft-driven bikes will make more whirly noises than other types. Try to isolate the sound. Does it sound like it comes from up front or towards the rear? Rear might indicate something with the final drive system. Uncertain about up front.

I am certain someone will chime in.

Oh, btw, LINKY -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTpxzJAG8AA

Peace

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
That is exactly what my 90 sounds like with stock exhaust.

·
Crap, I WAS in 5th gear.
500 Posts
Fourth time I'm trying to post this. Apparently I can't post video links yet because I'm new. It says it has to be approved by a moderator but from what I've read on here no one will ever approve it. I put the video on youtube so if you go there and search "Weird Noise on VN750 it should pop up right at the top. My username is similar (combatchuck1234). You can hear the high pitched sound fairly well around 10-14 secs. After that I think I hit the mute button.

I'm pretty sure it's a wheel thing at this point because it's doing it almost constantly when I'm moving. However, because I can't get it to do it when it's not moving, I have no way of checking to see what's wrong. Nothing is visible on the front tire so I'm not sure what to do.

Thoughts?

Sounds normal.

·
Skankin' Vulcan
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It sounds like its coming from up front. And I don't think it's normal because it cuts in and out and wasn't doing it earlier in the week. I'll see if I can get a better video of it tonight.

·
If only it had 6th gear..
1,100 Posts
It's fine, mine did the same thing. There could be a few things that make a noise like that. The stator for one (car alternator's whine when they have a load and our stators may do that, or being a gear balanced engine, you might be hearing a whir from them, or as already mentioned the drive shaft, although I think that would vary with mph and not so much rpms in my experience. I don't think you need to worry though. Sounds like you got a pretty tight ride.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
it sounds good to me.....mine makes a similar sound, but from what I can gather it is the sudden rush of air entering the "ears" when throttle is applied. it sounds like a "whirling" or almost a "whistling" sound....and became more prevalent after I oiled the filters.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts