1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Well, they're also messing with the timing each time they change the fuel. Up to the 91 octane fuel, the results are exactly what you'd expect. Higher octane lets you add more timing and you make more power because of it.

After that, they start using racing fuel, and in their conclusion they state that racing fuel is formulated to be more powerful... so it's not only higher octane, it's also a different and more powerful formula, so I'm not surprised it behaves differently.

Interesting article nonetheless, but it seems that pump gas does behave the way we've always thought it does.

·
Undercover Sportbiker
1,097 Posts
While hte article was interesting, and I cannot make a claim to be knowledgeable on this particular topic, I will make the following statements (becuase I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express once).

In order to answer the question that was posed "Can Cheap Gas Make Power With Booster?" you would need to make the gas the only change in the equation. What they did was not only change the gas but also the timing, which renders the data unusable in the context of answering the question at hand.

I think a better title for the article would be "What timing should you ruin in your hot rod based on the type of gas" since that appears to be what they were really looking for.

·
Super Moderator
11,959 Posts
^ what he said.

I also think the general statement that the higher the octane rating , the harder the gas is to ignite....still holds true. This is of course the main reason for higher octane gas....to prevent pre-ignition...aka pinging.

There is no good reason to run higher octane gas in the Vulcan, as it was designed to run on "regular", the timing is set, and I have not read anyone reporting pre-ignition issues even using the lowest octane around.

KM

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ugh! Well then, I guess I've goofed by putting 93 octane in my '86 Vulcan 750! It's been sputtering ever since. I will replace with 87 octane soon! Thanks, folks.

·
Registered
116 Posts
^ don't feel so bad I did the same. :doh:

This is my first bike I have ever owned other than a scooter. I was told that due to the age of the bike ('97) that I should run 93 octane. GUESS NOT!!!

Thanks for the info. I really enjoy this forum, it's very informative and helpful.

Good thing my tank is low I will fill up today with REGULAR.

Thanks again:))

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had a little over a gallon of the 93 octane left in the tank. I sputtered to the gas station and put in 2 gallons of 87. It's running better already. Whew! Won't do that again. My 454 LTD loves the 93 octane, though. I guess the Vulcan 750 is just finicky like that.

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
I had a little over a gallon of the 93 octane left in the tank. I sputtered to the gas station and put in 2 gallons of 87. It's running better already. Whew! Won't do that again. My 454 LTD loves the 93 octane, though. I guess the Vulcan 750 is just finicky like that.
When I first bought my 750, I used 91 Octane.
Found little or no difference.
....but I did NOT have the same results as you had.

WilliamTech :smiley_th

·
Registered
445 Posts
The only time that your V750 knows what octane you are using is if it's too low. Then it will ping under a load. It it's hard to start then you have other issues, weak spark, bad or fouled plugs, timing or carb problems. Octane boosters, like 104+ and such are a waste of money, mostly alcohol and might boost the octane by 2 to 4 points. It takes 10 points to raise the octane level by 1. Better off just buying a 91 octane if you want a higher rating.

·
Simple Solutions
965 Posts
Octane

I fif a lot of research and testing on the octane of fuel, bottom line if your engine is not a highperformance engine (ie hi compression supercharged ect) High Octane Gas is useless and a waste of money. Low octane and a conditioner like seafoam from time to time (especially when its sitting for a while). I truly miss my vulcan and in due time i will come back. Good luck folks and keep the rubber side down...

PS I know there still will be resistance on this topic till the end of time because i too made the the assumption that all the gas companies want us to believe... More expencive gas is better..... (this is false)

·
Prowling Tiger
2,048 Posts
I fif a lot of research and testing on the octane of fuel, bottom line if your engine is not a highperformance engine (ie hi compression supercharged ect) High Octane Gas is useless and a waste of money. Low octane and a conditioner like seafoam from time to time (especially when its sitting for a while). I truly miss my vulcan and in due time i will come back. Good luck folks and keep the rubber side down...

PS I know there still will be resistance on this topic till the end of time because i too made the the assumption that all the gas companies want us to believe... More expencive gas is better..... (this is false)
If what you say is true, then our motors should handle higher octane fine. The compression ratio is 10.3:1, which is considered high compression. I think the only thing which hinders the use of higher octane gas is the inability to adjust the timing properly. I had a chevy motor with that kind of ratio and it ran crappy on 87; but, when I burn 20 gallons of gas in a week or less, 87 octane was all I could afford. I eventually got rid of it. I got tired of spending 200 to 300 dollars in gas a month.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I used to fly classic airplanes that are usually allowed anywhere from 87 octane up to 100 octane fuels. Higher octane fuels burn at a lower temp. While that may sound good, in fact it results in a 'dirtier" burn. When overhauling one of these engines it's often obvious if the owner was running 100 octane fuel because there will be a lot more build ups. Lower octane burns hotter, and therefore cleaner. It's nothing that's going to make a difference based on a couple fillups but after running an engine for 2000 hours (our standard with aviation engines before rebuild) it was obvious.

-Robert

·
Super Moderator
11,959 Posts
Actually 13:1 is considered "high compression" nowadays and Roberts point about build up in the motor is the biggest reason NOT to run high octane fuel in the Vulcan.

Folks that have said they been using high octane for years and when they tried regular gas they had nocking issues or the bike ran poor see this because they have so much carbon build up on their piston tops from runnnng high octane gas that their getting preigintion issues from it. (Think of the carbon encrusted top of the piston becoming a "bed of coals" and you can see the obvious result)

Thus my comment in the other thread about running loads of SeaFoam through the bike if 93 has been used for awhile.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Hey Dawg...got an airport near ya ???...get a 5 gal can of aviation fuel and run that...I used to get the 103 octane...it dont have all the crap they put in fer cars either...be prepared for a surprise... *weg*
We used to run it in our drag cars, and yes, it DID affect the ETs....
I wonder what gas Ceal uses...I heard that in Mexico, they have gas as low as 72 octane....:wow:

·
Let's Ride!!
606 Posts
There's a station near me where I can get 110... but I'm not going to waste the money on it.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
I would...once in awhile...long as it aint loaded up with alkyhaul...I think Id do a 50/50 mix though...110 is a lil high, even for a worked motor...

·
Let's Ride!!
606 Posts
I think it might be higher than that. The ethanol-free stuff is like $4.90, and that's 92 octane. I would guess the 110 is maybe $5.20 or so. I'll check next time I'm there.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
...:beerchug:...Best to run kerosene with a big handful of mothballs (Ugh, they do have'em you know...lol...)...
Believe it or not I have ran the kerosene + mothballs many years ago in an old 39 Dodge... Also have mixed tolulene with high test gas as high as 4:1 for (outboard) drag boats... I don't like the ethanol, so as my son's gen. store sells gas without ethanol but has only 2 grades, Reg. 87 oct., and 93 oct. (R+M)/2, as my bike's (Sportster) owners manual states to run 91 (R+M)/2 or (95 RON) so I put the 93 oct. in... I don't remember exactly what the VN750 owners manual called for, but believe it was close to the same... I've not yet put SeaFoam in my tank, nor do I plan on doin so, I'm not fixin what ain't broke... As to the carbon build up, I don't know but do remember reading that most boat owners that ran reg. gas in their outboards were probably gettin only about half engine life due to carbon build up, and that was OMC/Chrysler/Mercury engineers talkin in a boating mag., not the gas companies... Their reasoning came from the knowledge that reg. gas was formulated as to compete price wise, and did not contain the expensive cleaners that the high oct. did... I have no idea on my own, as I am not a scientist, matter of fact I didn't go to the 8th grade, and I'll soon be 76 YO, so I ain't goin back to school...lol...
I didn't mean to start a bunch of chit, with a bunch of scientists, I'm not qualified...:beerchug:...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts