Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 2002 VN750, I have a question regarding the type of gas I have been putting in my bike. I have been using premium, 93 octane, I thought I had read somewhere that the bike needed a minimum of 91 oct. I have heard some people saying that they use 87 with no problems. Is it ok to use 87 octane in my bike or would it have adverse effects, would save a buck or two if it was, thanks

Al

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have a 2003 1500 Classic and 1991 750 and I use 87 octane in both of them. They are both carb'd. The owners manual say's to use 87 octane and I have no issues using it. I tried bumping up the octane on the 1500 to premium and the engine started to ping so I went back to 87 octane. As a suggestion...I would try 87 octane and see how it runs...and save a little $$$ while doing so.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Alkb said:
Hi,

I have a 2002 VN750, I have a question regarding the type of gas I have been putting in my bike. I have been using premium, 93 octane, I thought I had read somewhere that the bike needed a minimum of 91 oct. I have heard some people saying that they use 87 with no problems. Is it ok to use 87 octane in my bike or would it have adverse effects, would save a buck or two if it was, thanks

Al
The OM says at least 87 RON/MON. That's 87 octane here in the states. Anything higher will likely not burn as completely in your engine, eventually leading to carbonization etc.
If your ride is in a good state of tune, hasn't been hopped up w/ hot cams etc and you don't live in the Sahara desert, use 87 octane.
If you get no 'pinging' from the engine under any loads when you use 87, you're good to go......

1 - 4 of 4 Posts