Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not trying to :dead_hors, but I noticed that the sticker inside the "trunk" lid recomends 91 octain min. and everything I've read here recomends reg. 87 octain.

Does it really matter, or is it just cheaper?

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
There are 2 different ways to measure octane. The R+M/2 method is used in the US and that is the 87 octane rating you read about in the manual. The other method is where the 91 octane rating comes from on the sticker. In essence, they are both the same rating using different methods of measurement. Kind of like English and Metric. The bike runs fine on 87 and there is no value added in running 91.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That makes sence. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I have a favorite gas station I fuel up my VN at that sells gas with no 'eco' crap blended in. I use regular not to save money, but because reg. runs fine. I'm also concerned about the higher octane fuels not selling due to pricing so you may buy a tank of stale gas.

DT

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a favorite gas station I fuel up my VN at that sells gas with no 'eco' crap blended in. I use regular not to save money, but because reg. runs fine. I'm also concerned about the higher octane fuels not selling due to pricing so you may buy a tank of stale gas.

DT
What is this "eco crap" you speak of?

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
Most places have 10% methanol added.
Our Bikes run fine on it but get a little less MPG.

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Most places have 10% methanol added.
Our Bikes run fine on it but get a little less MPG.
The stations around here just started to carry that S**T and I cringed when I saw it...... but what ya gonna do?!

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
The eco crap I speak of are the additives / fillers / or better said above S**T that reduces the life of seals, gaskets, and inhibits water absorption. My brother is a bus driver trainer and CDL tester in the state of Washington. He has forwarded several emails that have come his way about fuels (gas and diesel) that are being sold today as 'environmental friendly' that are causing long term problems with older engines / fuel systems.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts