Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Skankin' Vulcan
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm gearing up to do some spline lubing for the first time on the VN750 I bought a month ago and I want to replace the o-ring, but I don't know which to get. Here are the ones listed in the manual. I've never done this before so I don't know which is which (even from the diagram) or which I'll have to replace when I have this all apart.

92055 92055-1044 RING-O,ID=18.64
92055A 92055-1280 RING-O,61.6MM
92055B 92055-1281 RING-O,35.8MM
92055C 92055-1332 RING-O,19.8X1.9

·
Registered
856 Posts
This one: 92055 92055-1044 RING-O,ID=18.64

·
Skankin' Vulcan
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

·
knees in the breeze!!!
498 Posts
if you look up the spline lube threads you will find numbers that you can go to lowes and get a pack of like ten o rings for cheap ..i did but i dont have the numbers in front of me

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
if you look up the spline lube threads you will find numbers that you can go to lowes and get a pack of like ten o rings for cheap ..i did but i dont have the numbers in front of me
Fergy`s spline lube thread:
http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17274

The old O-ring may not be damaged or need replacing.
Having one on hand is just a time saver if you do. :smiley_th

I just read through fergy`s spline lube thread again and did not find any general industry spec dimension O-ring numbers for the pinion spline.

Only Ma Kaw`s part number, the same as quoted by Ndr:
This one: 92055 92055-1044 RING-O,ID=18.64
However the ID=18.64 mm (about 3/4") given above, and good judgement about thickness of the cross section of the rubber ring itself, may be enough to find o-rings at a well stocked hardware store. :smiley_th

See fergy`s last picture in part/post 1, and the second picture in part/post 2 to get an idea of the thickness/cross section of the O-ring needed for the pinion spline.

If anyone has an O-ring in their possesion that fits, perhaps you could measure its ID, OD and cross section with a pair of calipers and post the measurements in this thread as well as fergy`s thread. Thanks in advance. :)

·
Skankin' Vulcan
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To be on the safe side I just went ahead and ordered it by the part number. I'd rather not guess and ruin the back of my bike!

·
Registered
114 Posts
I just happened to get a couple from bike bandit today in preparation for my tire change/splines lube tomorrow. I only have a non metric dial caliper.
ID .770
OD .990
Thickness .142

Now since its rubber there is some error because it's pliable but if you can find one close that pliability should allow it to work.

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
Some metric conversions for you

ID: 1.9558cm
OD: 2.5146cm
Thickness: 3.6068mm

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Hey skyboxer thanks for the measurements. :smiley_th

When you pull the final drive off tomorrow, would you please check the diameter of the pinion shaft where the O-ring sits.
Just curious how tight that 0.770" ID O-ring fits on there.

·
Registered
114 Posts
That's an excellent idea. I should get more accurate readings on the steel.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I took off the final drive and.... GREASE!! Spines look perfect and I couldn't be happier. I measured the o ring groove and got. . 750 inches.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I took off the final drive and.... GREASE!! Spines look perfect and I couldn't be happier. I measured the o ring groove and got. . 750 inches.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Thanks again skyboxer. :smiley_th
How snug does that O-ring fit on the shaft?
As you said yesterday, the 0.770" measurement may have been a bit off due to the flexibility of the rubber ring.

·
knees in the breeze!!!
498 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Thanks again skyboxer. :smiley_th
How snug does that O-ring fit on the shaft?
As you said yesterday, the 0.770" measurement may have been a bit off due to the flexibility of the rubber ring.
It was snug but not stretched. I couldn't see any gap between the ring and shaft, or feel any play by wiggling it around.

the ones i used were from lowes in the plumbing dept
they are #15 and are 1"od, 3/4" id , 1/8" thick

http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17243&highlight=O-ring

post 39
That sounds very near what the "offficial" part is. I suppose the only real test would be to ride it for a couple thousand miles (tough job, I know) then pull it apart and check for leakage.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts