Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, fairly recently Im guessing, the state of NY in its infinite wisdom, began making bike plates from aluminum instead if steel (mebbe other states did as well). I still have my old steel Harley plate (a custom "HOGWLD"), which was tacked to 5 different bikes, prolly over 25k miles, and still looks new...
Well, with this aluminum plate, right around the 2000 mi mark, the top ears of my plate broke off and the plate went down the road....had I not been wearing a half shell, never would have heard it....
Found it and fixed it....I took two thin steel washers and JB Welded them to the back to reattach the ears...prolly wouldda been enough, but no, Wolfie cant stop there...I took 2 pieces of strap hanger (the perforated kind for plumbing pipe, holes lined up great) and siliconed em verically from top to bottom. Reattached with 4 bolts now, and worked like a charm !!! :smiley_th

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
What was your first thought when you heard something fall off of your bike and bang along on the road? :)

I have an eBay chromed frame around my plate and it is very solid. But with the stock location (like a mudflap) I'm not surprised if they get whipped around a ripped off more often.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What was your first thought when you heard something fall off of your bike and bang along on the road
I first thought I ran over somethin...rest of the bike is nice and tight and LocTited...but then I glanced in the rear view (was only doin 30mph, but rough road), seen it cartwheelin away, lol...

I have an eBay chromed frame around my plate and it is very solid. But with the stock location (like a mudflap)
In NY, especially troopers, dont like to see the plate obscured at all and will use that as "an excuse" (especially with someone looking like I do)...and legally in NY, you cant obscure the plate at all and can be fined (frames DO obscure them some...some more than others)...so, all I did was fix the State's screwup, lol...low budget fix too !...had the silicone, and a plumber I know gave me a foot of strapping...had the bolts in my stock.

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
ohio plates are the same, I lost one and have a frame on my second one and the frame and the plate is torn. guess the old vulcan is just too fast for them. LOL

·
Senior Lurker
509 Posts
Hey Wolfie,

Thanks for the BBQ invite, sorry I can't make it.

The problem has happened to me with all of my NY motorcycle plates for the past 20 years. On my Honda, Harley and Kawasakis. The real cause is that you (and me) tightened the two screws that hold the plate on too tight and the plate wants to vibrate a little. When you get a bike new from a dealer they tend to have the plates secured with two little reflector topped screws with springs on their backs. My guess is those springs allow the plate to vibrate just enough not to want to tear.

To fix this on my VN750 I cut a thin piece of steel plate (actually from the bullet proof partition from a retired NYC taxi cab, but that's a different story) and used it as backing for the NY plate. Screwed all four corners nice and tight and of bolted the top two to the bike. It'll take a lot more vibration and wind to get that sucker to tear off now.

-Sloppy

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
Hey Wolfie,

The problem has happened to me with all of my NY motorcycle plates for the past 20 years. On my Honda, Harley and Kawasakis. The real cause is that you (and me) tightened the two screws that hold the plate on too tight and the plate wants to vibrate a little. When you get a bike new from a dealer they tend to have the plates secured with two little reflector topped screws with springs on their backs. My guess is those springs allow the plate to vibrate just enough not to want to tear.

To fix this on my VN750 I cut a thin piece of steel plate (actually from the bullet proof partition from a retired NYC taxi cab, but that's a different story) and used it as backing for the NY plate. Screwed all four corners nice and tight and of bolted the top two to the bike. It'll take a lot more vibration and wind to get that sucker to tear off now.

-Sloppy
I had the same problem with my Florida plate. I balanced the carbs...problem went away.

WilliamTech
:lockd:

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Well then, Aug 4th (Sat), a bunch us are getting together for a ride to OCC and more...why dont ya come over and up fer that...Im only 35-40 mins from the Tap (actually less to the Tap)....Im making dinner for all when we end the ride at my house...we'll be starting from Greenwood Lake between 9-10am...check my OCC ride part deux thread...

·
Registered
44 Posts
remember the old honeycomb license plates? they were sturdier.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Never seen them...my earliest bike plate was from 1975...

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
When I was on my way to port Dove, I passed a MC plate in the middle of the road. Except this one was still attached to the bracket! Probably rattled itself loose off a hardly!

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
What is, a "hardly" ?? :confused:
Freudian slip....
Harley... I've seen some of 'em shake so bad it's a wonder the engine didn't fall out. I've never owned a Harley, don't really care for them. Seems to me the company is more about selling an image than a quality, affordable bike.
I respect the history (cept the AMF part ) and recognize cruisers are styled after them, but I still wont buy 'the image.'

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,092 Posts
once i saw a honda with a badge painted on the tank that said "hardly a davidson.i say if you want a harley,build one from the ground up.that way you can build the bike you want and don't have to buy an image

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
...Ive only ever heard "Hardley Dangerous"...but that was from that sport bike crowd...

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,092 Posts
...Ive only ever heard "Hardley Dangerous"...but that was from that sport bike crowd...
kinda sounds like my yammie

·
Senior Lurker
509 Posts
Hardley Drivenson.

"If they built a plane, would you fly in it?"

I'm not a hater, I still have my Sportster. The jokes are just too good to pass up though.

-Sloppy

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sloppy...you into goin on our OCC ride this weekend ?

·
Registered
856 Posts
PA plats are still made of steel for now, but they are still pretty flimsy. My first plate on my first bike got lost pretty much the same way, only I didn't notice it was gone till I got home. Every plate I've had on a bike since then has had some sort of heavy duty frame around it secured with bolts and loctite
When I went to the DMV to get a new plate, they reported the lost plate with the police, so about 3 months later, I get a knock on my door. one of the local LEOs hands me my lost plate. Apparently some dude found it on the side of the road and was running it on his bike for awhile...

·
Registered
44 Posts
if you see a plate laying in the road around utica it's mine. procrastinated about getting a plate frame. JB welded a piece to the torn corner, but the JB didn't hold. trip to DMV in future.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
JB welded a piece to the torn corner, but the JB didn't hold.
Shouldda added a splice like I did with the washer...thin to thin dont last...now, line em up, epoxy em, and epoxy in a washer over the patch...the steel gotta break first... ;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts