Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a question, If you won a 2011 Harley Ultra Classic Electra Glide would you take it or would you take a $10,000 pay out?
There is a bit of taxes you will have to pay about $8000 to take the bike but it is a $22,000 bike.
just throwing this out there.

·
Rider on the Storm
1,287 Posts
I don't understand the tax angle - $8,000 on a $22,000 bike?

I would take the bike if I could (bottom line) sell it for more than the cash pay-out.

In any case, I wouldn't keep the bike.

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
$8000 is tax title dock fee, it is higher because it is a prise and not just standard tax.
Say you ride it for a year and sell it for $18000 you still make the $10,000 cash you would have.

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts
I don't understand the tax angle - $8,000 on a $22,000 bike?

I would take the bike if I could (bottom line) sell it for more than the cash pay-out.

In any case, I wouldn't keep the bike.
Whoop, there it is. Take it sell it, and buy a new Spyder.

KM

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why the hell would I want a Spyder! I ride Motorcycles, if I did that I should just get a Miata and be a total Pussy.

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts
As I have a Miata already, I guess I have pre emptied the pussy factor as I still own the FJR. ( which stands for Faster than your Joke of a Ride)

The Spyder is a retirement investment. So when the day comes I am too old and feeble to hold up a two wheeler, I can at least still "feel" like I am riding one. Wait till you hit 60 ... Your views tend to change a bit. ;)

KM

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As I am not even 40 the spider will not be running in over 20 years.
If I did want a trike there is great trike kits for HD's and many other options for them.
It is a good thing to have a Vulcan if you are on a Vulcan board also.
Just as info this is a Quote from teh Vroc board and it is not me, just so you know what other people say.
Mick [VROC #28006
> wrote on Sat, 07 May 2011 16:27]I have just become a died in the wool VROC member. I once belonged to another Kawasaki forum who shall remain nameless and after I found out that all the good guys over there are gone and have been replaced with a bunch of whiny, estrogen filled crybabies, I have vowed to never darken their doorstep again. I am glad to be here with real men ( and women) who are not fake and plastic. I am proud to be a member and hope to be for a long time. Thank you for your indulgence.

Is one of the members of the other forum S 50 something Miata driver who owns an FJR and hangs around the Kaw forum spouting wisdom like the great and powerful OZ with a bunch of minions drooling over his every word,and the forum is dedicated to one particular small Vulcan motorcycle.If so ,You know why i hang over here more all the time.If it ain't ,tell me there is not another one like it,It is much less drama over here,and these guys and gals actually ride their bikes and are helpful without ,treating you like a moron.....unless you ask for it,LOL,I like it better here too.
--
Hillbilly Emeritus
2005 1500 Classic
'92 VN 750(sold)
'72 CB750 (on going project)

·
Growling at the World...
564 Posts
I've ridden the Spyder. Nice but not a motorcycle. If necessary, I would look at one but not until I have to. But the new HD Trike I saw today looked more like something that I would want if and when that day comes.

For me, I would have to ride the HD and see how it stacks up to my current ride (2002 Nomad 1500FI).

For me my decision process would go something like this...

Can I afford the taxes, which where I live would be mighty - somewhere around 8k on a 22k bike?

What could I sell my 9 year old bike for to apply for a new bike with a nice warranty? Maybe 5 or 6 grand...

I would strongly consider the new HD as there is nothing in the Vulcan line that I truly like except maybe the Vaquero, but I'm not sure that I'll like that as I really dislike the new 1700 Nomad and Voyager.

HD has a great customer support network and dealership experience that Kawasaki and the rest of the Metric world can really learn from.

A new bike vs. a 9 year old bike. Lot's to think about there.

Overall, I would have to look at all of the above and as satisfied with my Nomad as I am, I would really be on the horns of a dilemma with this one. HD makes a high quality bike just as Kawasaki and Honda does.

For those who will slam HD for current model quality or their past experiences with douchbags, just remember that there are douchbags who ride HD's as well as Metric. Don't be a douchbag... I ride motorcycles, not brands. Whether I'm on a Kawasaki or a HD, I'm the same guy in any case. I show respect where respect is due and ride with like minded people. Don't be a hater due to brand ignorance.

Just my 2 cents on this issue...

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
I would keep the hd, that is provided I had the tax money.

And I think I would rather go with a voyager kit than the three wheeler of any kind.

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
I would sell the hd for the for all i could get and pick up a yamaha venture (Ithink it is) for two up and touring and a newer bike like the vulcan for commuting and local trips. cant help it I'm practical!

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
As I have a Miata already, I guess I have pre emptied the pussy factor as I still own the FJR. ( which stands for Faster than your Joke of a Ride) Wait till you hit 60 ... Your views tend to change a bit. ;)

KM
Hell I'm not but 48 myself and don't care for sports cars and crouch rockets. Where I live, those toys put you in the Geritol section of the grocery store and you're chasing younger women cause we've already gotten old and insecure about yourself. But I do live in the South and I'm a country farm boy:beerchug:

Just picking out you, Don't get rilled up and hurt your self, old man.:rockon:

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
If I were in the position to afford it,I'd be all over it.I'd say if you wanted to let it go your Nomad would bring good money.

Like bulldog said,I ride bikes.Our normal posse includes a couple of choppers several H-D's of different sorts a Nomad a Classic 1500,a Roadstar 1300 and one Ducati and even a CBR 1000 Honda or any combination of any two or three,a motley assortment to say the least.We always have a good time because we are all friends first and foremost.And believe it or not the most undependable one of the bunch is that 2 year old Duck.

I'd like to have that sort of decision facing me,ride what you like and like what you ride is how I feel.You really are the only one who has to live with it,so do what suits your situation,Denny Ray:smiley_th

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
To me it would be mostly a $$$$ decision, I would figure out what dollar I could get for the Ultra then break out the calculator for the taxes etc., then which way I came out with the most money... Of course about all y'all know I don't like the big HDs nor their copies, be they whatever, I guess I am still hung up on the 80s styles, such as the vn750, 80s Shadows, Sportster, but thats just me... As for 3-wheelers & windshields, my Merc. GM & Chevy PU have 4 wheels & a windshield... Oh I forgot I'm 74 yrs. old, I gotta ride a 3-wheeler, well not yet...:doh:...
Well thats just my 2 cents worth, now throw the flack...:beerchug:...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts
Why the hell would I want a Spyder! I ride Motorcycles, if I did that I should just get a Miata and be a total Pussy.
I don't why you would want a Spyder either. Unless I read you original post wrong, you asked what the folks here would do if THEY won the Harley.

I said I would sell it and use the money to buy something else....as a few others also did. But for some reason you not only made fun of my choice, but called me "total pussy" (as you went on later to show you knew I drove a Miata)

If you were standing in front of me and said that, you'd be laying on the ground spitting blood... But as I did not have that option, I chose to make fun of your choice in bikes too. Fair enough, that should have been it.

But instead you launched another personal attack and even went to another forum to find a post from some dillweed that did not seem to like me either.....fine. Whatever. I won't stoop to your level here and call you names in front of the other members. Your odd asseretion that one needs to own a Vulcan to be here should fall on many angered ears.

I should remind you this is a Vulcan 750 forum, and that I at least still own a VN 750.... So if anyone should leave, it be you Chad.... because unless I am mistaken, you no longer have one.

KM

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't why you would want a Spyder either.

If you were standing in front of me and said that, you'd be laying on the ground spitting blood... But as I did not have that option, I chose to make fun of your choice in bikes too. Fair enough, that should have been it.

KM
There you go with the Violance we have to much of that in this world.
We need to get along and not threaten people like a child.
Leave that for the immature and ignorante.
This is a good form so don't bring it down with violance!

There was no question about a spyder and I don't know why you would bring it up, still confused about that.
As far as for you I am done with you, almost every post I see is you putting peole down amnd givng them bad information on every site I see you post.
I have not said anything for years but no longer as you have directed your insults and misguided thoughts my way.
Good Day then.

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts
There you go with the Violance we have to much of that in this world.
We need to get along and not threaten people like a child.
Leave that for the immature and ignorante.
This is a good form so don't bring it down with violance!

There was no question about a spyder and I don't know why you would bring it up, still confused about that.
I believe you are confused. You asked what would I would do if I won the Harley. I said I would sell it and use the money to buy a Spyder.

You then made fun of my choice and called me a pussy. No confusion there I see.
I did not really mind that, as I just figured you were ribbing me. I didn't mind that you dissed my notion of buying Something you apparently don't care for.....just as I don't mind you making money off my floorboard design..

What I did mind is you suggesting I don't belong here. Still confused?

Perhaps my "minions" will be upset, lol, but I think I should just stop trying to point out your problems and move on too.

Good day to you sir too..:)

KM

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
I don't think this forum has changed at all. I still think it's a great place to hang out and chat bikes with people world-wide. I consider several people here my friend. They might be e-friends but friends nonetheless. I even let Hoss hook up with Carrie. :beerchug:

·
Heading to the DARKSIDE!
177 Posts
Sell that overpriced piece of junk ASAP....I would buy a real classy designed touring bike like a Voyager 1700 or a Victory Vision........and still have cash in my pocket to use to go on trips. Harleys are ancient technology with lots of chrome and a motor that is designed to be like a tractor engine with bad motor mounts.......when will people get it through there heads that all they are paying for is a NAMEPLATE.....That's my opinion......and as a hard working American...I am entitled to it.

·
Growling at the World...
564 Posts
Sell that overpriced piece of junk ASAP....I would buy a real classy designed touring bike like a Voyager 1700 or a Victory Vision........and still have cash in my pocket to use to go on trips. Harleys are ancient technology with lots of chrome and a motor that is designed to be like a tractor engine with bad motor mounts.......when will people get it through there heads that all they are paying for is a NAMEPLATE.....That's my opinion......and as a hard working American...I am entitled to it.
Bret, that has to be one of the most ignorant statements I've read on this thread. Calling a modern motorcycle a piece of junk is just showing how little you know about today's motorcycles. Harley as well as Honda and Kawasaki produce some of the finest motorcycles in the world. In reality, there are really no "junk motorcycles" being manufactured today. Each brand is producing some of the best designs in the history of motorcycling and each brand has a rich heritage of R&D and loyalty behind them. If you look at the sales of Harley Davidson motorcycles, they are selling a shyteload of them. Where my Kaw shop, one of the better ones in Illinois is lucky to sell three bikes a week, the average Harley dealership sells at least three a day and some of them three an hour.

I have no time for knuckledraggers who will rip on other peoples motorcycles because of brand. I'd rather rip on the rider of the bike as while there are no bad brands, there are dumbasses who ride them.

I'm sorry to see this thread go down the tubes like it has. I'm also sorry to see people so insecure in what they ride that they have to rip on Harleys just because some big bad HD rider ripped on their ride once. I'll defend my Kawasaki Nomad and VN750 when attacked but will also defend Harley Davidson as they have managed to bring up their quality to a level that can compete with any other brand out there.

Don't be so quick to rip on HD for shytty bikes made in the 70's and 80's. Kaw has made a few doosies in their time too. I happen to own one. Love it but don't trust it to get me from point A to B. It happens to be my Vulcan 750.

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
Spyder??
Nah, how 'bout the Stallion...........

1 - 20 of 32 Posts