Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a interesting problem The bike has good power, it fires up right away and idles nice but soon as I put it in gear it dies and the ignision will not work again till I put it back in nuetral and turn the key off and back on.

Has anyone had this problem before or does anyone know what it could be. I was thinking it was that kick stand sensor but that doesn't explain to me why once it dies you can't start it till I turn the key off and on.

Thanks for any help any one can give me.

·
Heading to the DARKSIDE!
177 Posts
Wow! That is a very strange problem. I have never had an issue like that. I am interested to see what it might be.

·
Premium Member
4,741 Posts
Sounds like the sidestand safety switch is hanging up. If it is, the sensor thinks the sidestand is still down and you can't crank it unless it's in neutral. With the bike still in neutral, try pulling out on the pin coming out of the rubber boot. If that fixes it, lubricate the pin/plunger and you should be good to go. If it doesn't, the switch may be bad.

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
I have a interesting problem The bike has good power, it fires up right away and idles nice but soon as I put it in gear it dies and the ignision will not work again till I put it back in nuetral and turn the key off and back on.

Has anyone had this problem before or does anyone know what it could be. I was thinking it was that kick stand sensor but that doesn't explain to me why once it dies you can't start it till I turn the key off and on.

Thanks for any help any one can give me.
Could be a bad contact in the ignition switch. I read on the forum a while back that the orange wire contact ( bad solder joint ) would cause the bike to go dead after the bike was running in neutral. Just passing this info on.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks I will check them both when I get home tonight when I get home. This sucks this was going to be a very awsome day weather wise

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Thanks I will check them both when I get home tonight when I get home. This sucks this was going to be a very awsome day weather wise
While both are possible I'm with FC the sidestand switch is the most likely culprit or It could be the clutch switch too start with the side stand switch and go from there.Just asking ,you did have the kick stand up didn't you?It happens more often than you think ,not picking on you ,man.Good Luck:smiley_th

·
Banned
448 Posts
I had the same problem with mine last week. I would start it let it warm up, and as soon as I put her in gear, she would die. My kickstand switch was stuck, and wasn't fully releasing. I didn't have to turn my ignition switch off and back on, but as was stated, try pulling on the nipple on the switch with a pair of pliers, and see if that helps or cures the problem.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok so put the bike up on the centerstand and looked it over. The rubber boot that covers the plunger on the kickstand switch was dry rotted and the plunger was stuck so I figure some dirt or something got up there. I have a new part ordered so that should fix it.
Thanks very much for the help! You guys are great!

·
Patriot Guard Rider
825 Posts
Shoot some WD-40 on the plunger and work it in and out by hand.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If the sidestand switch is completely ruined, you can clip the two wires running to it and just connect the cut ends. I realize this negates the safety feature of it, but it fixed mine fast and cheap.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts