Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week, my wife and I were in town running some errands. It was rush our, so lots of traffic on the roads. The roads Down town are 4 lanes (two in each direction). We had just taken off from a red light in the right hand lane. There was a semi-truck and trailer in front of us in the left lane, and a minivan in front of us in the right lane. we made it half way down the block when all of a sudden this bike materializes in front of us right behind the semi heading broad side through our lane of traffic. Thank god my wife is always on the look out for us Biker's, so we were able to slow down enough to keep from hitting the guy. But the guy still wasn't so lucky... due to his miss judging and inpatients, hit a wet spot on the side road and went down...

My point to all of this... Take your time out there guys, its not worth it to be in a hurry on your bike... the guy had plenty of time to sit and wait for us to go by... we were the last ones through the cycle due to the semi, and there wasn't any one in the oncoming lanes... so he had plenty of time to wait until the oncoming traffic cleared, also I am sure he couldn't see us due to the semi.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
nope, we were in the cage... its going to be a while before I can ride again.. damn army regulations.. I have to take another MSF course before I can ride... unfortunately they say it has to be a specific class that isn't offered any more this season. so... I am not sure when I will be back on two wheels... in the mean time.... MOD and CHOP the bike some more.

KM thats good advice, and a rule of thumb we use as well.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
I'm already betting it was a sport bike. They do that all the time around here, weaving in and out of traffic with just inches around them. They also ride between cars (lane splitting is illegal here) and will use the bicycle lanes to get to the front of a long line of traffic, also illegal. That's probably why the insurance on my former Ninja 500 cost more than all my other bikes put together. Even though it wasn't very fast as sport bikes go, it was still a sport "type" bike, and the insurance company knows very well how that type of bike is usually ridden. They are also about the only type of bike with the maneuverability to ride like that. (No, I did not ride mine like that)

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
actually it was a Kawasaki KZ750 Twin... and ridden by a guy with a grey beard... go figure.. didn't fit the typical stereo types at all..

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
hey Slim, glad you and the wife are OK and not involved in the biker's bad judgement. We look at it as a "brotherhood" and it always hurts to see a biker do something stupid.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the worst part of it is... its guys like him that are making it real hard for me to ride... so many new regulations for me to ride while being in the army.. i now have to take my 4th msf course... it seams like i have to take one once a year

·
Patriot Guard Rider
825 Posts
Hey Slim,

Doesn't the Army mandate you take the MC course only if you are riding on Base?

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
I thought you were getting out of the army and moving to Colorado when you got back this time slim. How much longer do you have in the army?

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Gordon.. I thought I was out too.. I'm still working it.. but its looking like April of 2012... these darn people don't know what to make of the legalities of the refined retention regulations... according to my branch manager, I've been out since June of last year, according to personnel I am out June of next year, and according to retention I am out in April of 2012.. so when I get off of vacation next month, i go talk to my CO and First SGT to see what they have to say/do.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,093 Posts
hell,i allways ride like everyone is trying to run me over.call me paranoid,but wait, is that guy watching me?

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Hey Gordon.. I thought I was out too.. I'm still working it.. but its looking like April of 2012... these darn people don't know what to make of the legalities of the refined retention regulations... according to my branch manager, I've been out since June of last year, according to personnel I am out June of next year, and according to retention I am out in April of 2012.. so when I get off of vacation next month, i go talk to my CO and First SGT to see what they have to say/do.
That`s a pretty long range of time slim. June 2011 to April 2013. :wow:
Government intelligence is an oxymoron it seems. :doh:

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
no its one or the other... either June of 2013, or April of 2011, although technically according to a law Obummer passed, I should have been discharged in June of 2011, but since I was deployed, the bylaws didn't effect me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts