Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cable came off and I bought a new one, although the old one seems to not be broken, but since it fell off during a ride I decided to replace it but does it need to be oiled? The old one seemed pretty dirty and may have had oil on it. I can't find anywhere anything about it so I have screwed the new one in-but before I take her out for a spin thought I would check with you guys. If it does need oiled what type and how much do you put in?
thanks,

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
My cable came off and I bought a new one, although the old one seems to not be broken, but since it fell off during a ride I decided to replace it but does it need to be oiled? The old one seemed pretty dirty and may have had oil on it. I can't find anywhere anything about it so I have screwed the new one in-but before I take her out for a spin thought I would check with you guys. If it does need oiled what type and how much do you put in? thanks,
Speedo cables come from factory with pre lubed minimumly (sp).....
If you do attempt to add lube to cable, DO NOT utilize a thin lubricant such as WD40.
....hope this helps
WilliamTech

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok thanks.

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
Wd40 isn't a lubricant...I wish more people realized that.

If you really want you could get a spray can of lithium grease and spray down into the sleeve, but you shouldn't have to worry about it.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,197 Posts
X5 on the lithium as cause I had a conference with 2 of the guys in my head as well

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
My cable came off and I bought a new one, although the old one seems to not be broken, but since it fell off during a ride I decided to replace it but does it need to be oiled? The old one seemed pretty dirty and may have had oil on it. I can't find anywhere anything about it so I have screwed the new one in-but before I take her out for a spin thought I would check with you guys. If it does need oiled what type and how much do you put in?
thanks,
It fell off while riding because it wasn't indexed into the speedometer hub properly and the knurled nut wasn't on tight.

·
Crowley
1,263 Posts
Yes Angell WD40 is not a lube, the WD stands for Water Displacer. It is used to dry electrical parts.
Not completely. It's used a lot in bearing preparation, to coat the metal in an oil that will prevent it from rusting. (my local machine shop wd's all bearings and moving parts after cleaning/servicing things that require future assembly).

It's a rust preventative, one that can be used almost anywhere, can be mixed with motor oils, tranny fluid, anything.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Yes Crowley, it does have many uses, but as a lube is not one of them. I was just bringing to light what the WD originally stood for. Guess as a rust preventer is because it displaces the water from humidity?

·
Crowley
1,263 Posts
Yes Crowley, it does have many uses, but as a lube is not one of them. I was just bringing to light what the WD originally stood for. Guess as a rust preventer is because it displaces the water from humidity?
Yeah it forms a barrier on static and low-friction metal parts, and keeps water away at the molecular level. Of course it isn't permanent (but you should see some of the tools in our garage that have been wiped with wd for decades) but it's ideal for metal prep. It is not a lube and it disappoints me when I see someone lube with it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It fell off while riding because it wasn't indexed into the speedometer hub properly and the knurled nut wasn't on tight.
Well actually it was the cable that is attached to the wheel, not the speedometer end that came undone. I think it just came loose from time. And I didn't check it when I put the bike back together. The old cable looked liked it was greased where as the new cable doesn't appear to be greased but I will get some grease (NOT WD 40 CAUSE IT'S NOT GREASE) and take care of it before I go too far.
Thanks one and all.

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
Well actually it was the cable that is attached to the wheel, not the speedometer end that came undone. I think it just came loose from time. And I didn't check it when I put the bike back together. The old cable looked liked it was greased where as the new cable doesn't appear to be greased but I will get some grease (NOT WD 40 CAUSE IT'S NOT GREASE) and take care of it before I go too far.
Thanks one and all.
I was talking about the wheel end. As I said it has to be indexed properly to get it tight and for the speedo to work right. It has nothing to do with grease although it should be lubed.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh ok- so what does that mean-indexed, how do I index it??
Thanks-

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
Oh ok- so what does that mean-indexed, how do I index it??
Thanks-
The front wheel has to be off the ground. Pull the cable out so the fork is about I/2" out. Push it into the housing hole. It will stop. Now while pushing it in rotate the tire ( usually about a foot or so ) and you will then feel it index into the housing ( go in farther ). Now the fork is indexed and you can screw in the knurled nut tight.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts