Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It turns over and does not catch. What can I do to fire it up? The gas has been turned on. Choke works..any ideas?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, will do right now

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
How does the gas smell?
If you have good spark, but the gas in the tank smells a bit rancid, drain the tank and put in fresh fuel.
You can burn the stale gas in the car as it will be diluted in the larger volume of gas in the bigger tank.

I usually have to use a bit of starting fluid in my lawnmower for the first start of the season. Try a short shot or two on the Vulcan.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I put seafoam in the tank and put bags over the air filter. I did not drain the carbs...I ran a high dosage of the seafoam through the tank before putting it away. I checked and did get a spark...the battery is charged as I put it on a maintainer throughout the winter. Where do I put the starting fluid?

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Where do I put the starting fluid?
You can squirt some on the air filter or remove the filter and squirt directly into the air intake (my preferred method).

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, I will try that. Thanks for the advise. I'll post what happens tomorrow.

·
Registered
319 Posts
If it turns over but just doesn't start try turning the petcock switch to prime for 30 seconds or so and then back to on. I think that's it. I remember reserve, prime and whatever it says for when you typically ride. Anyway that should prime the gas that evaporated over the winter.

·
Registered
26 Posts
If it still is not running, check to see if the carbs are getting fuel by opening the drain screw on the fuel bowl. If you have no gas, check to see if the vacuum hose is hooked up to the fuel petcock.
I forgot to attach the hose after a stator replacement. The bike will crank and crank but never fire if that hose is off.

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
If it turns over but just doesn't start try turning the petcock switch to prime for 30 seconds or so and then back to on. I think that's it. I remember reserve, prime and whatever it says for when you typically ride. Anyway that should prime the gas that evaporated over the winter.
x2 on this. mine is an 86 and I turn it to prime and choke it and give it very little gas, usually takes 3 or 4 tries sometimes more but it eventually fires, make sure you have a fully charged battery too!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
On my fuel valve it says RR1 res and on...which one is prime? All hoses are attached and to be honest I can not locate the screw for the fuel bowl...I'm a newb...lol

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts
On my fuel valve it says RR1 res and on...which one is prime? All hoses are attached and to be honest I can not locate the screw for the fuel bowl...I'm a newb...lol
I think the "RR1" really says "PRI"...which would be your prime. lever turned back towards the rear.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
The drain nipple and screw are on the back of the carb jet cover shown in this picture.

http://www.vn750.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=2548&cat=668
The distinctive 5 sided shape should make it easy to find on your carbs.:)
Look at the next picture of the carb for jet location for more help.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, I tried the starter fluid and it backfired a couple times but nothing...I gave it about two short blasts as the guy at Napa said to not use too much as I could blow the aluminum engine. The first time I shot it in it went right through the other side...lol...so I'm not sure that counts as a squirt. Any tips for an aiming point? I almost killed my battery so I put the maintainer on again to top it up before I try again. Thank for all the tips, they are appreciated. :beerchug:

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Cover the air duct on the other side before spraying the ether in next time.
That should keep enough in the airbox to get a fuel charge to the cylinders.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I will only take one airbox off then...and giv'er a shot. crossong my fingers...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, I got it running...all is good...running like a dream just like at the end of last season. Now my tail lights aren't working...no running lights..but I have turn lights and brake lights...soo...I'll get on that possibly tomorrow...any ideas where to start on that?...lol

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Sounds like a fuse or bad connection. Time for contact cleaner and dielectric grease!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Excellent...thanks for the tip...I will start from there. Thanks so much!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts