1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry, but I have to do it.
5100 original miles
Vance & Hines Cruzers exhaust
Bike was coastered by previous owner. Also, when I took the seat off I noticed a large hose plugged with what looked like a broom stick handle with a hose clamp on it!
I seated the carb screws and backed them out 3 full turns each
Bike runs incredible but pops out of the exhaust like nobody's business at low speed deceleration or downshifting.
Bike has no vacuum leaks that I could find.
New plugs and battery
Gas is questionable though. It had 1/2 a tank when I got it. Previous owner thinks he put seafoam in the tank but couldn't recall.
I filled it with 92 octane.
A few of my buddies told me to run that tank down to nothng and put fresh gas in it and see what happens before I start tearing into the bike to figure out why it is popping so much.
Any suggestions on anything I might be overlooking?

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
A exhaust leak at the gasket will cause that as well, make sure your exhaust nuts are tight. If llos the gasket is probabley shot.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Sorry, but I have to do it.
5100 original miles
Vance & Hines Cruzers exhaust
Bike was coastered by previous owner. Also, when I took the seat off I noticed a large hose plugged with what looked like a broom stick handle with a hose clamp on it!
I seated the carb screws and backed them out 3 full turns each
Bike runs incredible but pops out of the exhaust like nobody's business at low speed deceleration or downshifting.
Bike has no vacuum leaks that I could find.
New plugs and battery
Gas is questionable though. It had 1/2 a tank when I got it. Previous owner thinks he put seafoam in the tank but couldn't recall.
I filled it with 92 octane.
A few of my buddies told me to run that tank down to nothng and put fresh gas in it and see what happens before I start tearing into the bike to figure out why it is popping so much.
Any suggestions on anything I might be overlooking?
Who knows what he PO did, but if the coasters aren't properly sealed, a leak there will also pop on you.

FWIW, my stock pilot screws were 2.5 out on the front and 3.5 turns on the rear, so just because you're at 3 turns out doesn't necessarily mean that it's sufficient.

Try 3.25, 3.5, 3.75, etc. Once you hit 4 turns out, it's time for bigger pilot jets...

EDIT: Popping is an indication of a lean mixture. Popping on decel means it's popping when the throttle is closed...i.e. pilot circuit...ergo more turns out on the pilot screws. Oh, and ditch the 92 for 87. Keep your baseline solid w/ the fuel until you're comfortable with everything being set right before fiddling with fuel octane. And these bikes have no need for anything other than good old fashioned 87...

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
X2 to a possible exhaust leak. Check in calm air by holding a lit cigarette or piece of incense near the exhaust gasket and watching the smoke to see if it is disturbed.

The 92 octane gas isn`t helping either. By design it is harder to ignite than a lower octane gas. When you refill, use regular 87 octane, as that what the engine was designed to use. You only need higher octane gas if the engine knocks (cylinder pre ignition caused by something before the the spark plug fires, usually a small piece of red hot carbon stuck to the interior of the combustion chamber).

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Who knows what he PO did, but if the coasters aren't properly sealed, a leak there will also pop on you.

FWIW, my stock pilot screws were 2.5 out on the front and 3.5 turns on the rear, so just because you're at 3 turns out doesn't necessarily mean that it's sufficient.

Try 3.25, 3.5, 3.75, etc. Once you hit 4 turns out, it's time for bigger pilot jets...

EDIT: Popping is an indication of a lean mixture. Popping on decel means it's popping when the throttle is closed...i.e. pilot circuit...ergo more turns out on the pilot screws. Oh, and ditch the 92 for 87. Keep your baseline solid w/ the fuel until you're comfortable with everything being set right before fiddling with fuel octane. And these bikes have no need for anything other than good old fashioned 87...
Thanks! I will check it out.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, I think I found the leak. I grabbed an incence stick and lit it up and went all around the bike checking out the smoke. It was undisturbed until I got to the brake side of the exhaust where it bolts to the front jug. The smoke became a stream drawn directly into where the exhaust bolts on.
The bolts are tight so I assume I need new metal O-ring gaskets.
Where do I get them quickly? I am hoping the local Kawasaki dealer has them in stock. My bike has Vance & Hines Cruzers exhaust on it but that shouldn't make any difference in the gasket. What do you guys recommend?

·
Premium Member
120 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My only problem is that the nearest Harley dealership from me is 30 miles away in the opposite direction from where I work.
There is a Kawasaki Dealership 3 blocks from my work.
I need to have the bike inspected by Saturday so I need to replace this gasket in the next 2 days.
If I am going to have a problem with the Kawasaki gaskets I will wait until I can get the Harley part # 17048-98 but I read every post about crush gaskets on this forum and it seems that 1/2 the people use Harley and the other 1/2 use Kawasaki for the V&H Cruisers.
I only want to do the job once and do it correctly though.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
My only problem is that the nearest Harley dealership from me is 30 miles away in the opposite direction from where I work.
There is a Kawasaki Dealership 3 blocks from my work.
I need to have the bike inspected by Saturday so I need to replace this gasket in the next 2 days.
If I am going to have a problem with the Kawasaki gaskets I will wait until I can get the Harley part # 17048-98 but I read every post about crush gaskets on this forum and it seems that 1/2 the people use Harley and the other 1/2 use Kawasaki for the V&H Cruisers.
I only want to do the job once and do it correctly though.
Doesn't matter which one you use, but the chances of finding one at a shop on short notice is likely better (and cheaper) at the Harley dealer than at the Kawi dealer. Make your calls and see who has one in stock. The Kawi part number is also in that thread.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Doesn't matter which one you use, but the chances of finding one at a shop on short notice is likely better (and cheaper) at the Harley dealer than at the Kawi dealer. Make your calls and see who has one in stock. The Kawi part number is also in that thread.
I didn't see the Kawi part number in that thread. I saw a part number for a complete gasket set for $105.00
I just need 1 exhaust gasket. Thanks...

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Perhaps I just thought I saw the Kawi gasket number there...

In any case, it's: 11060-1119.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Something you might wanna try before changing out the gaskets: In some cases when putting on the V&H's it turns out the exhaust studs are just a tad short on threads (cap nuts bottoming out) to be able to tighten the cap nuts enough to bring the exhaust tight to the manifold. Adding a couple of flat washers to each stud before putting on the nuts might give you the extra metal you need to tighten the exhaust on down to close the leak. Give it a try and if it doesn't work, it only cost you a few cents worth of washers and some time...

PS, the washers go on after the exhaust and before the cap nuts!

I don't know if the metal is slightly thinner where you tighten the exhaust on the V&H's on some of them or what, but it has cured the leak on a few bikes...

·
Registered
686 Posts
Something you might wanna try before changing out the gaskets: In some cases when putting on the V&H's it turns out the exhaust studs are just a tad short on threads (cap nuts bottoming out) to be able to tighten the cap nuts enough to bring the exhaust tight to the manifold. Adding a couple of flat washers to each stud before putting on the nuts might give you the extra metal you need to tighten the exhaust on down to close the leak. Give it a try and if it doesn't work, it only cost you a few cents worth of washers and some time...

PS, the washers go on after the exhaust and before the cap nuts!

I don't know if the metal is slightly thinner where you tighten the exhaust on the V&H's on some of them or what, but it has cured the leak on a few bikes...

^^ Great point! ^^

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the replies. I am picking up a Kawasaki 11060-1119 gasket today at my local dealer. I will put a few washers on there when I replace it because when I had the exhaust off originally I noticed the studs were on the long side and I was wondering if the acorn nuts were seating correctly.
I was going to go with the Harley gasket but the closest Harley dealership is over 30 miles away.
I read that the Kawasaki gasket is directional. I assume flat side goes against the exhaust port on the head.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What a mistake I found on my bike when changing the exhaust gasket!!!
My bike has V&H Cruzers on it. The pipe flanges have nice chrome cover on them. When I took off the front pipe I noticed that the chrome cover was installed backwards!! Instead of the chrome cover extending towards the jug and covering the flange it was facing out!! Because of this, the pipe had no way to seat in the jug correctly. I found this out because when I reinstalled the pipe and new crush gasket I couldn't torque it to 18lbs correctly. If felt like it was bending something. What it was doing was bending the chrome cover. I took it apart again, reversed the chrome cover (which wasn't bent) and installed it correctly, reinstalled everything and torqued it down to 16ft/lbs. The manual says 18 but I didn't want to take a chance. 16 certainly seems tight enough. Anyway, I bet my original gasket wasn't even bad. Its just the pipe wasn't seating correctly. I also installed a washer on each side to make sure the acorn nuts didn't bottom out before it was tight.
The original owner told me he was never able to get the bike to stop popping like crazy on deceleration after installing the pipes. He coastered it, drilled the idle screws and had them adjusted and it still popped like crazy. Now I know why. It was too late last night to start it once I was done but I look forward to taking it out tonight for a ride and off to get inspected tomorrow. I am sure I solved the problem.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bike still pops on the left side only (clutch side) like a popcorn maker at deceleration. Its embarrassing. I really need to fix this before I get laughed out of town.
I can't find any vacuum leaks.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Bike still pops on the left side only (clutch side) like a popcorn maker at deceleration. Its embarrassing. I really need to fix this before I get laughed out of town.
I can't find any vacuum leaks.
back out right side air mixture screw 1/4 turn at a time 'til it stops

·
Registered
223 Posts
Exhaust gaskets are not that expensive, you can call the kawi dealership the part number is 11060-1119. If you really want the harley gasket you could call the kawi dealer and see if they can get the right part from the harley place shipped to them for you to pickup...just a thought. If you've checked the air cut off valve and its good I'd look into getting the next step up in pilot jets.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Subbed (I have the same problem).

Quick question to add - is popping exhaust a real problem, or is it just the annoyance/embarrassment factor? Mine isn't THAT bad, so if it isn't a huge deal mechanically I'm not going to worry about it while I'm getting other stuff done.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts