Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anyone is in the Northern California area, specifically greater Sacramento area, one of the best and well known rides is highway 49 either North or South between Auburn, California and placerville.

Since I live in Sacramento, I usually go up green Valley road to Placerville and north up 49 through Coloma, where as your history should have told you, gold was discovered at Sutter's mill. Stop in coloma for a little history, a snack, or a leg stretch along the American river and continue up to auburn. Highway 49 continues up through the gold country of Grass Valley/Nevada city and beyond, but I usually come back down I-80 and homeward. This ride may average 3 hours in some of the most beautiful country, year round.

I would avoid wet weather as there are long periods of twisties and some are fairly sharp with limited visibility ahead.

On any fair weather weekend day, you'll pass probably 50-100 bikes going in either direction. If you don't get the _wave_, you'll at least get a smile or a nod. (well, except for the rice rockets. Kids have no manners these days).

Nobody whose ever done it has been disappointed. Unless of course, they broke down, or had someplace they had to be.

Anyone have any favorite watering holes or eateries they care to share?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Food For thought

In placerville Tortilla Flats cant be beat!

And for a detour before going up jackson highway take Scott road it has some real nice senery and great twisties!

:beerchug:

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Highway 49

About ten years ago I had a house that was right on 49 a couple miles outside of Placerville between there and Auburn. I can vouch for the motorcycle traffic on a nice day.

I second the recommendation to eat at Tortilla Flats. Great Food!

Another great ride in the area, although seasonal, is the Morman Emmigrant Trial between Sly Park (off of US50) and Highway 88! And, then continuing on to Tahoe on 88. It's absolutly beautiful!

·
Registered
306 Posts
The Perfect Summers day ride

The Perfect Summers day ride

When we got there we decided to make a day trip around MT Shasta. That was the best ride I have taken about 450 miles of the most scenic and breath taking scenery you could hope for.

The trip took us on the following route

I 5 from Sacramento to Red bluff "I know Long and boring" (unless you love long stretches of farm land)

Then we headed up to Payne’s creek on 36 (on the outskirts of red bluff any one can tell you where it is) This stretch of 14 miles looks like the Serengeti plain at the top at hogs flat there is a small lake (nice place to pull over and take in some really cool sights).

3 More miles you are in Payne’s creek don’t forget to honk as you pass my uncles place it’s the last 2 trailers before you cross over the creek.

Now this is a long leg you pass Lyonsville and head up to Mineral (good place for a break, fuel and there is a place to get a soft serve cone the size of a mountain.

Now head back out and go Left on the Volcanic legacy Scenic By way highway 89 Now there are all types of towns and rest stops and pull outs along this path the air is clean the trees are green the lakes and streams run cool and clear.

Now 89 is a long road and has many sites This can be a day trip or if you prefer and i do suggest taking a weekend to explore the sites make a run to the top of Mt Lassen then climb the 2 miles to the glacier at the top (this is said to be the easiest hike you can take) or Go visit the Bubbling mud pots.

Once your done take 89 until you hit Highway 44 then have some fun on Lanes Valley road (warning this road has some real serious Twisties! not for the faint of heart take it slow and you will be fine) this will put you back on36 go right and in 17 miles you will be in red bluff again!

Have Fun you wont be dissapointed

·
Straight roads are evil
580 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts