Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Straight roads are evil
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently added a voltmeter, wired to the headlight. I know it should be direct to the battery, but I don't have a switch, and don't want it active when the bike is off.

Anyway...

After being on the tender all night, it reads about 12.3 (analog, so not exact). Riding around, it's usually 12.1. Idle, it drops to 10, sometimes 9. After idling a few minutes, it slowly rises back to 12.1, over several minutes.

When riding the ultratwist (meaning, on and off the throttle continuously), it's sometimes 12.1, sometimes between 10 and 12. Makes me nervous.

MF battery, new stator. Are those normal readings, from the headlight? Or should I be worried?

·
Love My Baby
1,165 Posts
If your reading were right off the battery, that would be very worrisome. I know the readings are lower when the voltmeter is wired off the headlight, but how much lower I'm not sure so I can't guide you. Reading of 9 volts sound too low but...

·
Super Moderator
11,816 Posts
That sounds way low, even for the way you have it wired. If I were you I would re-wire it correctly, direct to the battery. Or at least to the accessory leads in the headlight shell.. You can buy a toggle switch for 3 bucks, or better yet use a relay off the head light but wire the meter direct.

You should be getting 12.8 volts at rest and 13-14 volts when the bike is running.

It is possible the gauge is just way off, but if you wire it to the battery and check the reading against another voltmeter you will at least know how far off it might be. Some have a set screw to calibrate them if they are off.

As you have it now it is about as useless as not having one, so , well, you get the idea.

KM

·
Registered
491 Posts
Recently added a voltmeter, wired to the headlight. I know it should be direct to the battery, but I don't have a switch, and don't want it active when the bike is off.

Anyway...

After being on the tender all night, it reads about 12.3 (analog, so not exact). Riding around, it's usually 12.1. Idle, it drops to 10, sometimes 9. After idling a few minutes, it slowly rises back to 12.1, over several minutes.

When riding the ultratwist (meaning, on and off the throttle continuously), it's sometimes 12.1, sometimes between 10 and 12. Makes me nervous.

MF battery, new stator. Are those normal readings, from the headlight? Or should I be worried?
Hey EQ --

Those readings are too low. Mine is digital connected to the speedometer light wire (blue/red) within the headlight bucket. It reads about 12.5 at idle and 14.5 volts above 3500 rpm. The manufacturer of the voltmeter told me it is not necessary to connect directly to the battery. You may have a faulty or inaccurate meter, or some other electrical problem.
Here is a link with a photo on my installation:
http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10481

Here is link for more pics on photobucket:
http://s652.photobucket.com/albums/uu241/tourmax/Voltmeter/

Hope this helps! :beerchug:

·
Registered
736 Posts
I installed an old style electomechanical voltmeter, because I like the look. I noticed that these older style ones need a much cleaner circuit to get an accurate reading. In fact, I orginally wired the gauge light to the same circuit and noticed a big drop (basically rendering the gauge useless). So, the voltmeter is wired to the heated grip circuit, which is direct wired (with relay) to the battery. The gauge light is wired to the license plate light. Now I get an accurate reading, but only when the heated grips are off. The gauge fluctuates about 1.0 -1.5 volts when the grips are on (thanks to the grip heattroller).

I would try wiring the gauge directly to the battery (without the gauge backlight) to test the gauge's accuracy, then figure out how best to permanently wire it up.

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
I got a new r/r and my readings are totally dif than they used to be. My charging no. are way lower. I haven't had any problems. I show charge when using more amps, meaning the more lights I use the more charge I show.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts