Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm new here and just want to introduce myself. First of all, I'm from Orlando, FL and just turned 23 on January 24th. For my birthday my dad gave me his 2003 VN750 that he never rode. When I say never I almost literally mean it. The bike is an 03 and has 705 miles on it. Yes 705. He bought it in 05 with about 500 miles on it.

Now for a few questions. First, the bike has a minor oil leak. The leak is from when my dad dropped the bike in our driveway while it was running. It wasn't moving at the time and the only damage was a bent clutch lever which has since been replaced. The leak is small so should I not worry about it or is there something that can be done to stop it? By small, I mean that it will leak a few drops after I ride it for about 30 minutes. Second, the only upgrade I would like would be some new, louder pipes. Any good brands or online stores you guys can recommend? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Welcome aboard Krussdog. And congrats on the new, and I would have to say with that mileage it is, bike.

Where is the leak at? My thinking with any type of leak is, they usually all start out small. I'd fix it for piece of mind, and also to keep the driveway clean.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome. It seems to be leaking pretty high on the motor. I haven't really investigated it since I've only had it for 1 day so far. Once I take the time to look at it a little better I will probably be able to figure it out. I figured I'd pose the question to see if anyone else has had a similar issue when dropping their bike and see how they got it fixed. Fortunately, I have a close friend who is a motorcycle mechanic so worst comes to worst I take it to him to get it fixed. Thanks again.

·
Registered
721 Posts
welcome! I'm almost jealous of your bike.. if you post some pics, we might be able to help you figure out the problem.
REMEMBER.....
:worthless:

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
Welcome to the group! If it is a very small leak it might go away after you put some miles on the engine. If not sell it and buy a new one, I'll give you $500.00 for it! lol :smiley_th

·
Registered
722 Posts
Welcome to the group!!!

·
Louder IS better!
289 Posts
Welcome. these guys are a great group when ya need any help. as far as pipes, I have Vance & Hines Cruzers and they are pretty good, and the baffles come out realy easy if you want it louder. They look realy good too.t

·
Registered
410 Posts
I would'nt mess with the pipes, but the oil leak might be worth a look, but man, its a complete tear down, that would suck.
Hope it it is an easy fix.

·
2,528 Posts
Welcome to the group. I've been thinking of degoating before I consider changing the pipes. However, if you really want to change them I recommend to go on youtube and search for Vulcan 750 Cobra, Vance and Hines or Jardine. You can get an idea of the sounds.

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
Welcome Krussdog and happy birthday. You wound up with a great present. The oil leak needs to be looked at and taken care of. As far as the pipes, you may want to look up the thread on drilling the baffles before you put down the bucks for new pipes. If you drill the baffles it may be loud enough for you.

Whatever you do, ride safe. Good luck. :beerchug:

Gemguy
Fred

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Welcome Krussdog and happy birthday. You wound up with a great present. The oil leak needs to be looked at and taken care of. As far as the pipes, you may want to look up the thread on drilling the baffles before you put down the bucks for new pipes. If you drill the baffles it may be loud enough for you.

Whatever you do, ride safe. Good luck. :beerchug:

Gemguy
Fred
Thanks for all the responses guys. I'll definitely look at drilling the baffles first. I may have figured out the oil issue. This morning I looked at the sight glass for the oil and it is way above the max line. Actually I can't even tell what level the oil is at its so high. My dad said he had a friend who builds custom choppers look at it before he gave it to me. The engine was cold and had been sitting over night and was resting on the kickstand when I looked at the sight glass. Is this the right time and way to check the oil level? If this could be the problem can I just use an oil siphon to take out the excess oil? I am an ase certified auto technician but don't have much motorcycle experience so all help is appreciated.

PS. I'll post pics asap. I'm a full time college student and have a full time job so time is a luxury for me but I want to figured this out.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
To check oil level, you want the bike sitting straight/level. NOT on the side stand.

Oh, and welcome to the forum :beerchug:

·
Registered
802 Posts
You didn't say when it had been done last (or I missed it) but an oil change wouldn't be a bad investment.

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
As hyper suggested check the oil on the center on level ground. It should fall somewhere between the H and L mark on the cover.:smiley_th

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm going to put it up on the center stand and check the oil when I get the chance. I think I should probably bring it to a shop to have it serviced anyways. It will be interesting when I bring it to a shop and ask for a first service on an 03. Do you guys have any clue where I can download a service and owner's manual for it? I'd like to know what exactly is being done to it when I bring it somewhere for service.

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
I'm going to put it up on the center stand and check the oil when I get the chance. I think I should probably bring it to a shop to have it serviced anyways. It will be interesting when I bring it to a shop and ask for a first service on an 03. Do you guys have any clue where I can download a service and owner's manual for it? I'd like to know what exactly is being done to it when I bring it somewhere for service.
If you are going to get service done at a Stealership be prepaired for a healthy bill. I would call first and ask them how much and what will be performed. Have them put it in writing and have them acknowledge you will only authorize said repairs. They have a habbit of charging you for work you did not authorize. Considering the age of the scoot have the coolant flushed and filled. below is a link to download a service manual at the bottom of the page. :beerchug:

http://www.tocmanufacturing.com/Products.htm

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
If you are a certified auto mechanic, you shouldn`t have any trouble working on this bike. Download the Kawi manual, check out the Vulcan verses and ask questions here and you should be able to service everything just fine. Oh yeah, welcome to the forum.

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Welcome krussdog. I would buy a manual and do as much of the servicing as you can. The manual will lead you through it step by step and if you have any questions, the folks here are more than willing to help. I've seen them solve problems on bikes they've never laid hands on when mechanics that worked on the bike couldn't figure it out. Working on your bike will save you some bucks, get you more familiar with your ride, and you will know it was done right. No one is going to be as meticulous as you are with getting it right because IT ISN'T THEIR BIKE! Knowing the workings of your bike can be very helpful on those occasions when something breaks miles from anywhere.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts