Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to look at an '04 VN750 tomorrow with about 6600 miles on it. The owner says that it sometimes backfires upon starting it if the engine is hot. He also said there is a screech coming from the clutch that goes away when the bike is heated up. I do not know exactly when the screech is heard. Probably find out tomorrow. Mechanically I don't know much about these bikes.

Are either of these something I should be seriously concerned about?
Should I just forget about this one?

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
Is it stock? I know its only an '04 but has it sat? The popping on decel might be aftermarket pipes without air/fuel adjustment or jetting. The screech I don't know.

What I do know is that whatever is wrong with it, the people here will be able to diagnose it and tell you what you need to do to fix it. Don't decide just yet - go see it tomorrow, stop back here, and give us a full report. Take pics if the owner will let you...

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The bike is stock. No aftermarket pipes. The backfire is not on decel, but only sometimes when it is started when the engine is hot.
He mentioned when he bought it (11/09) there was water in one of the carbs and it was running on one cylinder. The dealer took care of that for him.

Now that I think of it, he said the clutch doesn't screech all the time, but mostly when you accelerate fairly hard. I don't think it is there on gentle to normal takeoff.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Backfires and Popping are real easy to work with most of the time, so I wouldn't worry about that so much. I would definitely try and get the clutch to make whatever noise he's talking about though. Once you get more information, you'll have a ton of guys here to go over it with you.

·
Calif Rider
725 Posts
The clutch sound is only the coffee grinder sound that most people talk about on this sight. Most clear this up with a different oil. Read the forum about coffee grind noise.
Several fixes can cure the popping on start. A good glass mat battery, adjusting the air fuel mixtures, iridium plugs and the coil pick-up adjustment. I did all these and have no trouble with hot starts any more.

·
Super Moderator
11,959 Posts
yeah, backfire on start means a weak battery....a wet cell, even if it tests good will do this as it gets old. Get a AGM battery ASAP>

Screashing from the clutch when it is HOT is not a good thing, as the "coffee grinder noise" is just about always do to a cold motor.

So take a test ride and let us know more specific details.

Be sure to take a voltmeter with you to make sure the bike is charging the battery when running.

KM

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Screashing from the clutch when it is HOT is not a good thing, as the "coffee grinder noise" is just about always do to a cold motor. So take a test ride and let us know more specific details.
KM
I agree, and would check the clutch lever for a bit of free play, could be that simple, if you are lucky...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
X3 on the coffee grinder. It does it on most 750's when the clutch is still cold, but will stop when the bike warms up to normal operating temps. Be careful when you take it for a test ride just after it has started. The clutch will need to be feathered with low rpms to take off, and that will keep it from lurching when it catches (the coffee grinder sound happens when the clutch grabs, especially when you are revving the bike as you start to take off) Just feather the clutch, and barely roll on any throttle and as the bike begins to move forward, let out softly on the clutch till it is fully engaged and softly on the throttle again til your clutch is fully engaged, and things will go smoothly. It is something we all had to get used to, and something that many have cured with an oil change.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts