Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rode a little today, discovered this bike makes noise when you go around corners. Turning left is twice as loud as turning right. Loud enough for a half deaf old man to hear with his helmet on.

Tomorrow, I will check wheel bearings first then the speedo cable I am thinking. I thought it possible someone here has been though this.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Check the axle torque front and rear first...if one is WAY loose, then check the bearing....
But you stated only "one way"...left...mebbe a saddlebag scraping ? Check the inside of the right saddlebag for abrasion...

·
Banned
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got some work done today. The noise is the disc brakes. I can get the high pitched squeak in one spot turning by hand. No play in the front bearings. I rode some this afternoon, still there. I also lowered the fluid level in the master cylinder reservoir.

I also removed the tank, flow tested and removed the petcock. Completely drained the tank. I was afraid to run the tank low before.

Thanks guys.

·
Banned
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wolf, it makes the same noise both left and right. A left curve at highway speed is loudest.
It will make the noise both ways just weaving in one lane going straight at highway speeds.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Okay, so ya say its coming from the discs...could be they are slightly bent...they bend easily when changing a tire and the wheel is just supported on its side....
Put the bike up on its centerstand...weight it so's the front tire is off the ground....place something solid alongside the disk (4x4s, small table, etc)....have someone spin the front wheel (spinning it mechanically is better)...take a wax pencil or lumber crayon, lay it flat on that table...slowly move it towards the spinning disk...you'll see soon if its slightly bent....and where....
Also, check the rotors themselves...if they are deeply gouged (slight is normal), you may need new rotors.....these rotors can not be "cut", but what can be done is to remove some of the high spots with a rotary disk...be careful though, and use a sanding disk, so it leaves crosshatches...best done like the way pencil thing I described above...that way youre milling along the rotation line...

·
Banned
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wolf, I kind of did that yesterday. Yeah, I might need rotors. The master cylinder was way over full, I lowered the level. Coming home last PM, the noise was still there.

thanks,

·
Banned
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
It was the front tire. Turns out it was making noise going straight too.

Replaced the original with a Shinko.

Considering adding Ride On.

·
Registered
8,185 Posts
It was the front tire. Turns out it was making noise going straight too.

Replaced the original with a Shinko.

Considering adding Ride On.
10% off if you use VN750 for the promo code on their website, or check out the scratch n dent page. I've got it for both tires, haven't turned an inch with it yet.

I did it for the continuous balancing, but the youtube video of a big tourer running over spike nails in a 2x10x20' board is pretty impressive too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts