Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've put about 1200 miles on my VN so far and the only thing that it does that doesn't seem right is that when you go to take off, especially when cold starting off, it makes a "brrruhh" noise. It sounds almost exactly like a hydrostatic mower taking off and the pump grunts at you. It only does it for a quick second and then it quits. Doesn't do it shifting gears or hitting throttle in 1st. I can't tell where it's coming from. Not really sure what it is. If my super awesome description doesn't do it, I can get a vid of it making the noise tomorrow. Happens every day.

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
I've put about 1200 miles on my VN so far and the only thing that it does that doesn't seem right is that when you go to take off, especially when cold starting off, it makes a "brrruhh" noise. It sounds almost exactly like a hydrostatic mower taking off and the pump grunts at you. It only does it for a quick second and then it quits. Doesn't do it shifting gears or hitting throttle in 1st. I can't tell where it's coming from. Not really sure what it is. If my super awesome description doesn't do it, I can get a vid of it making the noise tomorrow. Happens every day.
Do a search for " coffee grinder syndrome ". Very common. Also check this http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22848&highlight=coffee+grinder+syndrome

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, JM2001! That's it exactly. I believe I'll do a thorough oil change and see if it improves. If that doesn't do the trick I'll do the mod. I thought it may be the clutch but I just couldn't put my finger on where the noise was coming from. The guy I bought it from said he did an oil change at 1600 with Lucas; it may not be a great fluid for the clutch.

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
Thanks, JM2001! That's it exactly. I believe I'll do a thorough oil change and see if it improves. If that doesn't do the trick I'll do the mod. I thought it may be the clutch but I just couldn't put my finger on where the noise was coming from. The guy I bought it from said he did an oil change at 1600 with Lucas; it may not be a great fluid for the clutch.
Before doing an oil change put about 4 ounces of SeaFoam into the crankcase. Warm up the engine at idle for about 10 minutes then ride the bike for about 10-15 miles. Drain the oil and put in a good motorcycle oil. I use Castrol 4T 20-50 motorcycle oil. I got rid of the coffee grinder noise.

·
Registered
8,200 Posts
X3 on coffee grinder.

It can also help to work the clutch lever a few times while it's warming up, before you take off.

Seafoam: Come to think of it, I haven't seen coffee grinder this season, last year I ran a dose of Seafoam for 200-300 miles, because I thought it might have a sticky intake valve. Seems like both problems are gone now.

Long story but ... Coffee grinder dumped me on my butt the first year I rode mine. Be careful with it. Previous owner got dumped too.

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
As Sprockster said, work the clutch lever a bit before taking off (while it's warming up). First few takeoffs I just let it out real easy. No oil changes etc made it ever go away completely. I'll be drilling holes in the basket this summer when I'm swapping the plates and springs for a perm fix.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts