Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed a bit of a noise from my front cylinder at idle, when cold. I suspect the ACCT is acting up. I still have my MCCTs from my old bike. I'm just very gun-shy to do anything with the timing after my last bike failed catastrophically!

How do I know the proper tension to set the MCCT to?

·
Registered
7,983 Posts
Hard for me to advise since I haven't done it. There are some threads posted if you can find them. It's almost by accident I found this thread.

Partly by feel, partly by rpm, and maybe intuition. And listening to the engine.

(sentence structure and syntax compliments of extreme pain)

(if I don't respond it probably just means I couldn't find your post). .... Might be my new signature.

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
This took me a few tries but I got it right eventually, Swap to the MCCTs and snug them BY HAND tight enough that you start to feel tension, then back them off a half turn or so. Do not snug the lock nut yet. Start the bike and then crouch down and listen. If they’re too lose you’ll hear the chain clanking, then tighten enough that the noise stops. If you make them too tight the idle will drop. Some have stated that it’ll make a “whirring” noise if too tight. I did not experience this but that could just be me not knowing exactly what I’m listening for. Do one at a time. I also read that someone did them both by taking the seat off and leaning over the bike. Knowing my luck I’d lean in and bridge the battery with my chest so I did one at a time. Once set, lock the nuts and that should be it. I installed mine in March and haven’t touched them since.

·
Registered
7,983 Posts
mmart has a good handle on it.

One good thing, you've just been inside an engine, so you have a head start.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't swapped the ACCTs yet. The noise is a ticking noise that only happens when cold. When I run it up to 2.5k or 3k, it starts. It's hard to hear exactly when it starts, as it can't be heard over the exhaust during even a gradual rev up. As I let it come back to idle, it ticks on the way down and abruptly stops at about 1.2k.

My coworker thinks it's a sticking hydraulic lifter, that starts working properly once the oil is warmed up.
Spockster, didn't you say your bike makes a similar noise when cold?

EDIT:
I saw this video of a failing ACCT, and it doesn't sound quite like that. It's a very distinct tick. The noise in this video seems to have a bit of a ring/bell sound to it. Like whatever is being hit is hollow or ringing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts