Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Excuse the living heck out of me if there's info on theis already, but this has happened to me twice, and I haven't seen any posts on this yet.

Here's what goes on: I switch to reserve and baby acts like she's completely out of gas. I stop and slosh the tank around, and there's fuel in it. I fiddle with the petcock and throttle, hoping to prime it, and no result. Someone stops (usually a Harley rider!), goes and gets gas, we put 1-2 gals. in, I start right up and run down the road!.

I'm planning to take the tank off and have a look at the fuel filter/petcock mechanism this weekend (soon as I can minimize the amount of gas i nthe tank I got free from Fatboy rider yesterday). Maybe I've got filter clogs, or a sticky valve, dunno. Anyone had this one? I've seafoamed redently, but this is the second time for this, and the first was pre seafoam, and over six months ago.

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
Did you turn the valve so that the long part faces the front of the bike or the rear? If it was the rear, you turned the fuel valve off. Our valves are kind of counter intuitive. Don't feel bad if you did. Someone else here did it too.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have a 2005 with 10000 miles. This happened to me one time. Now I leave the petcock on reserve at all times. The bottom of the tank is an ideal place for condensation to collect if it's never used.

·
Geek
872 Posts
I think your on the right track.

·
Gnarly Jokester
1,796 Posts
So that's what I've been doing wrong.. Never had to go to Reserve while moving, but tried it while ideling and it quit instantly with the long part of the
backwards valve pointing back.

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
If you got the reserve the right way (opposite of trashlord's first time), then it is more than likely crud clogging the petcock filter. But that is a lot of filter to clog.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Also, with the carbs being CVK type (vacuum) you can't really prime them by just twisting the throttle. The engine needs to be turning over.

Checking the petcock would probably be the best place to start.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
I went to town on my way to work to fill up. Was getting low and it ran out of gas just as I came into town, switched to reserve and it smoothed back out. It was the first time on this bike for me to go to reserve. It took 2.8 gal so I had plenty left. Went ahead and added my seafoam as it's been about 1000 miles since the last time. Still running fine. I've always wondered what that was going to feel like. I was on a stretch where it goes from 70 to 55 so I was coasting anyway and was able to roll the knob forward and didn't hardly miss a lick.

My KZ has an on/off petcock and I was leaving it off about every other time I rode it so I'm used to rolling the petcock on while moving.

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
i try to run fuel through it once every 2 weeks to keep fresh fuel in there... also when i run my does of seafoam, i turn it to reserve to ensure it gets a cleaning too...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep, got the direction right on the off/on/reserve, no prob. there, but soon as I run some gas outa the tank this weekend, I'll remove the tank and check the valve for clogging. Maybe keeping it on reserve is a good idea. Could have something to do with the fact that it ran outa fuel right after I'd made a stop, then switched to reserve. I'm thinking that gravity may play a part? Just geuessing till I look at it. Thanks for the responses. Will, of course, keep you posted. In addition, this is a great website. I've gotten a huge amount of help from you guys/gals.

·
Now what
400 Posts
This is a little late for Butterman, but for anybody else out there: I usually switch to reserve on my way to get gas. The reserve pickup tubing gets clogged from basically old gas sitting in there if it never is used. Leaving it on reserve all the time will get the main pickup clogged and useless too. I like to add 3 oz of Seafoam once a month to prevent this kind of thing.:dead_hors I think I'll put some in now:smiley_th

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
not a problem... hope it helps keep you running....

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I may or may not have stated this, but I use my reserve quite a bit. I seafoamed the tank a couple of weeks ago, not due to any symptoms, but I figgered I'd keep the system clean. Oh, yeah, I know which direction is forward and which is backward. Just had this happen for the second time in 14 months of ownership, so it concerned me. Have had a cold for several days, and haven't been able to spend much time in the garage. Plan to take a visual of the system soon. Don't neccesarily want to leave tank on reserve the whole time either 'casue it sort of defeats the whole purpose of the reserve system. Gonna ride to work tomorrow so the tank will have a bit less in it. Rain predicted later this week, so maybe Wednesday or Thusday, I'll have a look.

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
Portable space heater. That's what I use. Might not want to get anything with exposed elements. Or heat up the room and shut it off.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
I took the above tip and am running this tank of gas/seafoam through the reserve. I'll switch it back after this tank. Good idea for cleaning out the reserve side of the petcock.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
After putting off looking at the tank due to my cold and a second job I just acquired, I took the tank off, got the petcock / valve assembly out, check it out, and everything was clean. I've gone to reserve since, so all seems to be OK, but not seeing anything out of order leaves me back at square 1. Oh well.

·
Now what
400 Posts
Butterman said:
After putting off looking at the tank due to my cold and a second job I just acquired, I took the tank off, got the petcock / valve assembly out, check it out, and everything was clean. I've gone to reserve since, so all seems to be OK, but not seeing anything out of order leaves me back at square 1. Oh well.
Everything's ok now? Maybe a trapped bubble in the reserve line or valve? I guess alls well that ends well.

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
There you go, if the long part faces the rear of the bike, you shut down the fuel. If you look closely, you'll see a little arrow at the end of the valve actuator. It will point to the RES, ON, OFF markings on the petcock itself. RES is toward the front, ON is down, and OFF is to the rear.
It is a good idea to run in reserve some of the time in order to clear some things out, but I would put in some type of fuel filter as I wouldn't want all the crap to run through the carbs and then cylinders.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Contrary to popular opinion, I actually can tell front from back. Felix Unger sez hello. This was the second time this happened in 14v months. Thanks for the input.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts