Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Go figure. They don't sell VN750s in Canada. I guess I'll be the first to drag one up here from the US.

·
Registered
1 Posts
VN750 in Canada

I can't figure this out either. The VN750 (although it appears that it is being discontinued everywhere) is a unique offering from Kawasaki. Nothing else is like this bike, and for some reason it has seen no distribution here in Canada, at least not in recent years. I just purchased mine in Ohio and brought it into Ontario with no difficulties whatsoever. I love the bike and apart from some minor adjustments to noisy valve lash tensioners and regular maintenance I would not want to trade it for, say, a new 900! the only problem is that none of the local mechanics have any experience with these bikes, most have never seen one....so you best learn all about how to do your own maintenance...at least for stuff like mentioned above.
:rockon:

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Well Mr Mole, if ya ever do need to take it to a mechanic, mention to them that if they have any questions about the bike, check out this site.
I'm sure there's a thing or two we can help them with (in exchange for a discount on your labor charges of course !!):smiley_th

·
Registered
13 Posts
I also live in Canada and I have a couple of great mechanics that can fix most any thing. Actually he was the one that found the drain plug on the bottom that let out all the crapo so that know it runs cool If you are in the Hamilton area let me knoew I will fix you up.
How did you find things at the border .What and where and how about paper work. I want to bring over some bikes and need to find out this info.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Bringing my '02 over the border wasn't a huge issue, but it was a bit of an adventure, for sure. Of course, the only vehicle I had running at the time was my old hot rod which is hardly streetable, but was again, the only thing I had running at the time. So I had to drive it across the border which was somewhat of a hair-raising experience in itself.

That aside, I had to get Kawasaki to fax me a copy of their letter stating that the bike's AOK and doesn't have any recalls, etc. I needed the title in hand which was also provided to me prior to the border visit. Major kudos to Barnes Harley Davidson out in Langley because if it weren't for one of those guys (Brad), I wouldn't have a place to store my bike across the border, a trailer to bring it across, or have a smoothe and easy time getting through all the formalities. Brad apparently knew the people that shipped my bike up from Arizona (Three Jokers, Inc.), which btw were very nice people to deal with. With the bike at the border, the import process simply required about 10 minutes to fill out all the forms. I had to pay $209 to import the bike. This is exclusive of the duty, which happened to be $233.94. After that, I just needed an inspection which happened at Canadian Tire one morning and that was it. Licensed and registered legally in BC now. Can't thank Brad at Barnes Harley enough, though... saved my ass!

Oh, and forgot one major thing: I had to make some sort of appointment or something at the border with the Customs Agency. They required a whack load of paperwork, including the recall letter and stuff. I think the whole procedure and requirements is documented on the Canada Customs website. It wasn't difficult at all, but I think I just got lucky.

·
Vulcan 750 Rider
14 Posts
Hey guys, well im from toronto, i got my 92 750 vulcan last july, it seems that mechanics or the repair shops are getting filthy expensive here in toronto. Like imagine for an oil change they charged me $ 110, was new to bikes and thought maybe its like this...but man it was rediculous. Now i hear some sounds from my front brakes and thinking shall i leave it like this for this season or fix it up..dont know what to do...any one can update me as i live in toronto. And yes you guys are right ,,, im a newbie to bikes and bike riding :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
hey i'm in toronto too, sorry for offtpic but what insurance company are you with and what are the prices. For ne they said it's gonna be like a 2200 per year and i have to pay it right away :( for the whole year
Is there better rates ?

·
24 Posts
try Desjardin Insurance (on the web) - I pay $874/year for my 2005 VN750

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Am I the only guy in the great white north between Vancouver and Ontario who rides a 750 Vulcan. This thread started in April `06 and this is only the 9th post. I`m curious if anyone out there knows when Kawi quit selling the 750s in Canada. I hadn`t thought much about it until I started on this thread, but I don`t think I have ever seen another on the street. Saw a couple in the dealers shop and one of those belonged to the senior mechanic.
I don`t want to make you guys in TO feel bad, but here in Lethbridge (pop. about 70,000+, 200 kms south of Calgary) my insurance for a`91 that I just picked up in May was a little over $150 for the year.
If there are any others in southern Alberta with a 750 Vulcan mount, drop a post on here and maybe we can meet up for a ride sometime. I will wish my fellow Canucks a long pleasant autumn with lots of good riding weather before old man winter blows in. I read somewhere on here there are only two rules for safe riding on snow and ice. Unfortunately nobody knows what they are. Til later OlHoss

·
Registered
305 Posts
I;m in Edmonton, And there are very few 750s up here. My 85 is a Canadian model, so they were sold here at one time. but I don't see them around the streets.

I must be a lucky SOB since my insurance is 98 for the year on a chopped CB750. The Vulcan isn't runninhg yet But i don't expect it to be much more that that

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
That was the quickest reply this forum has had in a long time. After I posted here I went over to Vulcan verses and got lost in there for 2 or 3 hours checking out various and sundry topics. If it`s not here or on VROC forums Gadgets pages it is not likely to be found. I just spent a few minutes in Duck`s Garage and I`m headed back now to look around some more. Your 750 chop looks like a well done job. Good luck on your "basketcase". It will give you something m/c related to do from October to April eh? later-- OlHoss

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Somebody on here told me they that there was another post from a newbie from Edmonton last week. So there are at least 3 of us in Alberta on this forum. <S> I`ve spent most of the day on your website. Got a kick out of your Rules for Safe M/C Riding, especially the first line of rule 1 regarding the guardrail being out to get you. It`s true and it got me 9 weeks ago (only 6 weeks after I got my bike). As of 2 weeks ago the break in the lower left leg has not even started to heal. See the doc in 2 more weeks, no weight on leg until then at least. No pain to speak of now, most of the swelling is gone except a little in my foot. If I had to have a wreck, why couldn`t it be at the end of the riding season instead of the begining? Ah well there`s always next year as the farmers say. Had 4 of my grandkids here most of the day and just got my computer back a few minutes ago. I`m headed to the Vulcan verses for a while now. Last night I got lost in there for several hours . Learning all sorts of things I need to do with my bike, when I can get around again. I read your chopper diary. Sounds llike you have two full time jobs.<G> Oh well, you can`t ride in the winter. Your "basketcase" will give you a project for this winter. I read your bio/resume and envy your machine shop and related experience. MY dad was a heavy duty mechanic and I grew up learning how to do the regular maintenance and minor repairs on our car. I`m a pretty fair parts changer but my diagnosis skills are somewhat lacking, and I would never consider tackling the mods you are doing. My hat is off to you. Get out and enjoy this riding weather while you can, it`s not going to last forever. Later--OlHoss

·
Registered
305 Posts
Wowsers, you must have been bored to dig that deep to find the bio.Glad you enjoyed the website. Still incomplete, but I'm working on it.

I know first hand about the gaurdrails, met up with one on a cb750 about 20 years ago. wore a cast on my hand for 12 weeks, was riding again after two.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi! I am in Prince Edward Island and I purchased a 85 this summer from a friend and this bike has 29,000 miles (great shape) and it goes as a 700 model. It had been purchased about 5 years ago from someone in the USA and from what I have read the first 750's to come to Canada were in 86. The bike is a purple colour and I have never seen another like it around here. Cheers and have a great day

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Hi! I am in Prince Edward Island and I purchased a 85 this summer from a friend and this bike has 29,000 miles (great shape) and it goes as a 700 model. It had been purchased about 5 years ago from someone in the USA and from what I have read the first 750's to come to Canada were in 86. The bike is a purple colour and I have never seen another like it around here. Cheers and have a great day
Yeah, in the USA, the first of the Vulcans ('85's) were 700's, then in '86 were allowed to import it as the 750.
Nice to have ya join us here, Jim :beerchug:

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Welcome to the Vulcan forum sdj, from southern Alberta. It must be serendipity, this is the first time I have checked the Canada forum in 2 or 3 weeks at least. We don`t get much traffic here. I usually check the newbie posts when I log in, but missed yours if you left one there. It`s a good place to introduce yourself as it gets a lot more views than you will get here I think. There is a lot of good info about the scoot here, and a lot of good people to help if you ask. Don`t be a stranger, come back often.

P.S. I just checked back and see that your newbie post was back in September. Don`t wait so long to come back the next time. Try the general forum or one of the techs, you will get more response there than you will here. You are kind of lost way down in this thread. When you come on start a new thread so you stand out a little more. OlHoss

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'm from Canmore, just picked up a 1986 VN750 and look forward to some weekend cruising, once I get the carb sorted out. (It's been sitting for 3 years.) My insurance is $108.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts