Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday was pretty nice in Philly. It was about 65 degrees and sunny but a little windy. Since it was so nice I decided to ride without a windshield. I got out on the highway and the wind was pushing pretty hard on my chest and helmet. So much so that I had to tense the stomach muscles to feel like I was staying up right. Today my belly is killing me!! I noticed diring the ride that I could relax the mid-section a little if I sqeezed the handles tighter and let my arms to the work but then my throttle control lessened. Does anyone know of a way to beat this? Is that just the way it is without a helmet? If I keep the windsheild off and ride will I just have to deal with an achy belly?

Thanks

·
Vintage bike addict
859 Posts
Some adjustments can lessen the aches. Repositioning handle bars and controls. Personally I like my shields.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Well I don't have a windshield here in S.Tn, (except on my car & PU) but feel like you need to ride a time or two to get the neck and stomach muscles on their way up to par at the beginning of the spring riding season... Sounds like you may have let the stomach muscles down during the winter mos., don't we all though... But if they are sore they are on their way back...
As to the no helmet I can't comment because I have never rode without one, and stay with a full face till the weather gets too hot, no matter what the law is...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Registered
950 Posts
I had a spitfire windshield on my bike when I got it. I can't use it at all it redirects the wind right at my ears, so with a helmet or without a helmet I get a pounding noise in my ears. So I had to get used to the wind directly in my chest. I used to ride a ninja and after changing bikes I cant believe how much those fairings do to redirect the wind.

Just think of it this way, now you can have that six pack like you always wanted. keep squeezing them stomach muscles.

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I don't have a windshield here in S.Tn, (except on my car & PU) but feel like you need to ride a time or two to get the neck and stomach muscles on their way up to par at the beginning of the spring riding season... Sounds like you may have let the stomach muscles down during the winter mos., don't we all though... But if they are sore they are on their way back...
As to the no helmet I can't comment because I have never rode without one, and stay with a full face till the weather gets too hot, no matter what the law is...Have a good one...Old Dog...
I didn't mean to imply I was going to ride without a helmet. I always ride with a full face, always.

So it looks like I'll either have to grow stronger, which is fine or put the windshield back on for highway ridin'. Fair enough, thanks guys...

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Is that just the way it is without a helmet
OK-You ment windshield, I understand, but it don't get better as you get older...lol... Believe me I know...:beerchug:...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Registered
707 Posts
you coul look at it this way..... you will have some nice abs after a month or so of riding without it....

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
I haven`t ridden my VN without a shield, but I took a 750 Honda for test ride last spring when looking for a bike. It didn`t have a shield and I really had to hang on at 65mph. I read in a training manual that we need to use our legs to squeeze against the tank, to hold ourselves in position. It should take some of the strain off the arms. I don`t think I have seen anyone else ever mention this technique on the forum. Maybe it is instinctive for everyone else, but I have to keep reminding myself to squeeze while I`m riding.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
The problem you could run into in tightening your grip on the handlebars is what's referred to 'Arm Pump'
The ache you are feeling in your stomach now will be similar to what you'd feel in both forearms.
Sometimes it's not too bad, but other times it can be a real pain. Almost to the point of needing to pull over.
Dirtbikers commonly are affected by this as there is more of a need to hold tight on the bars.

I'd suggest.....
  • Finding a different riding position (moving the bars)
  • Adding a backrest
  • Keeping the shield on
  • Exercising your arms and stomach more.
As the riding season goes on, you'll probably become more used to the wind pressure you were feeling and it wont bother you as much.

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts
No windshield on the highway........

Sucks don't it? (is that an oxymoron?)

I am now and always will be a windscreen person. Some bikes may not look as "cool" with a sheild , but looks mean squat when end up in pain. The wind blast on a bike with the "sit up and beg" riding position is likely the worst too.
If you stomach finally starts to feel good your hands and arms will start to ache from having to hold on tighter.
And you have a windscreen...........so,

Put the thing back on for god sakes.

KM

·
Registered
96 Posts
I've been riding so far without one and especially my first time I felt like I was holding on for dear life, especially pushing up to 80 (I try to keep the speeds lower for many reasons, that being 1 of them). You get used to it. I had some sore muscles from just plain riding around the city real long for a day. Your muscles will get used to it and it'll be all good. The wind blast is pretty crazy though!

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No windshield on the highway........

Sucks don't it? (is that an oxymoron?)

I am now and always will be a windscreen person. Some bikes may not look as "cool" with a sheild , but looks mean squat when end up in pain. The wind blast on a bike with the "sit up and beg" riding position is likely the worst too.
If you stomach finally starts to feel good your hands and arms will start to ache from having to hold on tighter.
And you have a windscreen...........so,

Put the thing back on for god sakes.
LOL!!! Yeah that's an option but I'd like to be able to ride with or without the windshield. Its not even a large one but MAN it makes a difference! I just bought a saddleman seat, maybe I'll see if the aftermarket driver backrest for our bikes fits with that seat.

I've been riding so far without one and especially my first time I felt like I was holding on for dear life, especially pushing up to 80 (I try to keep the speeds lower for many reasons, that being 1 of them). You get used to it. I had some sore muscles from just plain riding around the city real long for a day. Your muscles will get used to it and it'll be all good. The wind blast is pretty crazy though!
That's what I felt like! It was a rush though. For now I'll probably just use the windshield for highway riding (until I look into the driver backrest) and take it off if I'm just cruisin' around with the women...

·
Registered
411 Posts
When I bought my bike from the stealership, it had just been traded in days before. The PO said that he had a windshield and a Kawi service manual for it as well, but had left them at home and would be bringing them in as soon as he could. Well, I bought the bike and rode it home, obviously sans windshield. Most of the distance between the stealership and my house is open road with speed limits above 50. I have to say, I know what you're talking about, LP. Riding at those speeds without the windshield was interesting as I felt like the wind was trying to throw me off of the bike. It really wasn't much fun at all. Later on, when the PO brought the windshield to the dealer, I rode up there and installed it. WORLD of difference. I love riding, but not without the windshield. I don't like spending my zen time on the bike fighting the wind for control...

--FA

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
I haven`t ridden my VN without a shield, but I took a 750 Honda for test ride last spring when looking for a bike. It didn`t have a shield and I really had to hang on at 65mph. I read in a training manual that we need to use our legs to squeeze against the tank, to hold ourselves in position. It should take some of the strain off the arms. I don`t think I have seen anyone else ever mention this technique on the forum. Maybe it is instinctive for everyone else, but I have to keep reminding myself to squeeze while I`m riding.
My sphincter muscle has become highly adapted and now exerts a strong vacuum pull on the seat. The faster I go, the stronger the vacuum. Nonetheless, my next addition is going to be a windshield!

·
Registered
411 Posts
My sphincter muscle has become highly adapted and now exerts a strong vacuum pull on the seat. The faster I go, the stronger the vacuum. Nonetheless, my next addition is going to be a windshield!
And the volcano-like structure on the seat ensures that you're always correctly aligned with the rest of the bike for proper riding posture whenever you get on...

--FA

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
And the volcano-like structure on the seat ensures that you're always correctly aligned with the rest of the bike for proper riding posture whenever you get on...

--FA
Yeah, and it also serves as a security feature. Only fits me, and nobody wants to sit on it!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hey all ...I don't ride with a helmet or windshield ..the helmet is not required here in Illinois as for the other just don't have the funds to get one and my first day this spring riding was with a 35 mph crosswind that was a real treat..haha...as for the squeezing of the legs and hanging on to the tank I do that all the time (may just come from dirtbiking) .....My other half has the full deal on his HD including the stereo he likes to duck down below his when its raining just to laugh at me ...It takes a lot to ride at 65 mph like this but I do it arms are getting stronger...take care and ride safe..Happy Easter to all...Bikermom

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hey all ...I don't ride with a helmet or windshield ..the helmet is not required here in Illinois...
Riding with no helmet because it's not required? :doh:

Happy Easter to you too though :)

·
Registered
950 Posts
I love that these dudes are on here biching and moaning that they can't ride without a windshield, cuz it's too hard to hold themselves up. Then bikerMOM gets on here and is like "f windshields, f helmets" Bunch of pansies. :baby:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts