FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,245 Posts
the vents should be under the fuel cap

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
OK, this tank doesn't have a cap. I am going to use the cap from the original tank. I guess what I really meant was the 2 emissions lines?

Also, does the black plastic cover over the fuel sender just pop off and there are screws holding the sender in?

·
I'm a rider
964 Posts
Tanks changed in the early 90’s. Before then there was no vent on the rear of the tank, just the cap...... unless it was a California model then it had two vents. Otherwise no vents until early 90’s where it had one vent from then on..... again unless it was a California model in which it still and always have had two.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Tanks changed in the early 90’s. Before then there was no vent on the rear of the tank, just the cap...... unless it was a California model then it had two vents. Otherwise no vents until early 90’s where it had one vent from then on..... again unless it was a California model in which it still and always have had two.
From what I can see the cap vents back down into an internal channel of the tank, presumably to the rear vent where the hose attaches. Did the pre-90's cap just vent to air at the top of the tank (and possibly vent fuel onto the rider)?

·
I'm a rider
964 Posts
I read a good page somewhere about the tank changes a couple yrs ago and I’ve been trying to find it for 30 mins now. Doesn’t look like I’ll dig it up anytime soon.

Edit: in fact even though i read that and saw pictures, don’t mark it down until i find that source again.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well it seems that this is not the original tank. I think it is in good shape. I took the cap off my first tank and I see where the cap had the vent (a little pin type object). This tank has no such provision. It looks like I am going to have to find out what year tank it is and buy a cap. Or I could stab a hole in the top of the tank....which should work, but recommended.

Attachments

·
Registered
738 Posts
Hello!

I found a gas tank that does not have vents. Is this common?

Thank you
Bill

Model years '85-'87 vent through a small port in the base of the gas cap. The port exit is located in the rear of the gas cap.

Model years '88 - '06 vent through a tube that run through the gas tank exiting at the rear of the tank.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So the 2 "pipes" I have on my '86 tank are emissions only? The tank I have now does not have any type of pipe, nor a cap. So it is possible it is an early 90's tank? Is there any way I an use it?

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Saw on one post that the 85s had vent pipes. Hard to know what tanks got switched around, though, so it's hard to take anecdotal evidence as final. Seems more likely that 85-87 were all the same.

You can use the old tanks on new bikes, but you have to match the gas cap to the appropriate tank. You'd just rip out the now unused evap stuff from your frame and done (or you could leave it in-place and unused if you're feeling lazy). The late model vent hose to open-air has its equivalent in the gas-cap of the early models. Old way has more of a chance to purge pressurized gasoline/vapors onto the rider instead of being spat out onto the pavement via a hose.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,245 Posts
I have an 85,an86,and a 91 tank.I'll mosey on over to the storage unit tomorrow and check em out

·
Super Moderator
11,972 Posts
I believe all th gas caps had some type of venting....it's really just a matter where that vent ended up. Ones that had no hole in the tank just vented into the air behind the cap. The ones that had the hole in the tank had that hole line up with a tiny rubber grommet on the cap.

So, it would seem to me if you don't have a hole in the tank you could use the newer cap just by pulling out that rubber grommet and letting it the cap vent to the air.

Unfortunately I just found out the key I have on my project bike doesn't work on the gas cap so I can't examine it. This will of course present a problem later for me......

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
So, it would seem to me if you don't have a hole in the tank you could use the newer cap just by pulling out that rubber grommet and letting it the cap vent to the air.
From the quick eyeballing of fuzzy ebay pictures I did yesterday, it looked like the spacing of the hinge bolts might be different for the two styles. Might not be a quick swap. Also might be a quick swap. Would be interested to see what illumination Doc can provide with his multiple bikes-worth of spare parts. >:)

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,245 Posts
the 85 and 86 didn't have a vent into the tank and vented into the cap like KM said.the 91 had a tube that ran down in through the tank

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,245 Posts
yes

·
Super Moderator
11,972 Posts
Cool. Now I have to figure out how to open the cap on my project bike. The key does seem to work, but only turns a bit farther than turning it with a screwdriver. Ran penetrating oil into th lock, but the next day still won't turn much or open.
Not sure what to try next...guessing the part that locks to the inside of the tanks hole is rusted/frozen.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Penetrating oil at the front of the lock's rotating, circular dust-cover might have a better chance of making it to the latch than dripping it down the key-hole itself... Of course, push down on the cap when jiggling the key (which I'm sure a man of your experience is already doing).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts