Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bike is in netural, all lights are on and working. flip the switch to run and hit the start button and not a sound. I'm thinking its the switch so how can I bypass it or cut it and touch the wires together?

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
Do you have test light or a volt meter? You could check for voltage on the (white-blue stripe?) wire that activates the starter solenoid. Also, if you put 12v to this wire and the solenoid operates correctly, the starter should engage.

If you really had to, you could connect a jumper cable from the battery positive to the lug on the starter, or the largest terminal on the solenoid that has the starter cable on it. Have to use a large wire, like jumper cables, because it's going to pull 150-200 amps. Would melt a 12-14ga wire.

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
And I should have been more clear, you would test for voltage at that wire as you push the starter button.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tested the plug that goes to the solenoid, with my meter on both wires I was getting about 10volts. Forgot to check the battery at the time to see what that had, wasn't thinking this morning. So I went ahead and used my jumper cables from the positive terminal on the battery to the the starter terminal on the solenoid. With the bike on and the switch to run I touched the two it took some time but it did turn over. Let the bike run for a few mintues and shut it off. Tried to start it with the start button and it worked. Let it run for a little longer this time and then shut it off while I got ready for work. Came back out and she started with the button.

For awhile now the bike has been a pain to start, have to try it several times before she will turn over. Battery is fine, I have done the pickup coil re-wire. So I am not sure what is the culprit. I would like to get a video of how she sounds maybe someone can chime in.

·
R/R = Relocated Redneck
628 Posts
Can you explain "pain to start"? Does it turn over and just not want to catch, is the starter sluggish, etc...

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hold the start button in and I hear like a grinding sound at times and it tries turning over but doesn't catch. Do it a few more times and it finally turns over. Other times it starts up on the first hit. A video would help out and will try and take one here either today or tomorrow.

·
R/R = Relocated Redneck
628 Posts
Sounds like a good idea...

Have you had the battery load tested? Even a bad one can show good voltage, but a weak cell could do what it sounds like you're dealing with. Also, have you checked the frame grounds? They need clean contact and should all be tight.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Battery I gotten back in spring. So I never thought to have it tested as its only a few months old. I did sand down the two grounds - engine ground and the battery ground so that they were shiny, so that should be fine.

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
The grinding sound... Is it up front at the starter (starter clutch slipping), or behind the right side cover from the solenoid (rapid solenoid clicking due to low amps or loose connection)?

My bike has just begun acting somewhat similar. Three times yesterday, I had to plunk it into neutral to get the starter to turn, I'm thinking clutch lever switch on mine.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just went out on lunch to run the bike and the button start doesn't work. Will try jumping the leads to see how that responds. Does this sound like a bad solenoid? I was getting volts from the button to it this morning.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll check the battery tonight but it has been working for the last few months. Haven't had to put the charger on the tender. If it was a bad battery why does it run fine after I get it running? I can recheck the grounds and make sure they are tight and no rust on them. Are there only two grounds right? The ground for the battery and the ground for the engine? Ignition switch was replaced a few years ago.

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
sounds like a bad battery to me too it runs fine after you start it cause the charging system is keeping up enough to keep the engine alive

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Rookie mistake I had the bike in gear so the button works at the moment. I will try and get a video of the sounds it makes when starting after work.

·
R/R = Relocated Redneck
628 Posts
I put vn800 bars and controls on mine. The wiring interface is different from the 750's, so now I have to grab the clutch to start it no matter what. Not exactly a bad thing in my mind...

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Had the battery on the tender all last night, came out this morning and the tender said it was charged. Tried to fire it up and it wouldn't. Button worked but it wouldn't turn over. After trying it for a few mintues I saw white smoke coming off I believe the starter bolt. I can't find my cable to connect my phone to the computer nor can I email the video. I'm wondering if I may have a bad starter?

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
May be a bad starter, but, did the solenoid click when you hit the button?

Is the cable tight at the starter?

What is the battery voltage after it's been off the charger at least a half hour? You might also have the battery load tested.

If the battery is proven good, the cables tight, it looks like a dead starter.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
When I tried to do the solenoid trick it did click and try to turn over. I can double check the cables but last I tried they were tight. I had it out last night and it was fine, green light on my volt meter. is there a writeup on how to rebuild the starter?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts