Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
alright heres is a question for the knowledgeable. I pulled my 2001 out of the basement for the first time in 2 years. It had fuel still in it (didn't intend on it sitting for so long) fuel most likely had stabil in it and the bike fired up with a new battery no issues.
Well that got me to decide to fire up an old 1989 that i havent started in 4-5 years this one was sitting without the tank and no oil in the bike but probably gas in the carbs. I filled it with oil and gas and got it started but only ran it for a 10-20 seconds as it wasn't outside. The fuel petcock was leaking terribly so i bought an aftermarket one that i dont really think will work properly but tried to make it work and the bike again started and ran for 30 seconds before seemingly running out of fuel due to the petcock. Now absolutely will not start or even turn over. I get a solid clunk that i can feel. Battery is charged . I initially thought the motor must have seized. I did put the bike on the stand in 5th gear and i can move the tire although not very easily. Could the starter have failed or is it the motor a problem?
Also my ground wire is a bit of a mess and the negative battery terminal gets so hot you cant touch it and had a puff of smoke so i will replace that before trying anything else.
The 89 is not a bike i ride but kind of want to throw it together and get it going just because i want to mess around with it (mild customizing to see how i like things before doing it to the perfect 2001)

·
Registered
7,710 Posts
Try this: Pull the easy spark plug out of each cylinder, note which cylinder, if any, pumps gas out of the open spark plug hole as you crank the starter..

A stuck carb float can fill a cylinder with gas and cause hydrolock. This would also cause a battery cable to get hot while trying to crank the starter.

Liquid will not compress, so something has to stop, or break. Probably just stopped in this case.

Storing without gas can be done, but storing with no oil could make trouble.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Try this: Pull the easy spark plug out of each cylinder, note which cylinder, if any, pumps gas out of the open spark plug hole as you crank the starter..

A stuck carb float can fill a cylinder with gas and cause hydrolock. This would also cause a battery cable to get hot while trying to crank the starter.

Liquid will not compress, so something has to stop, or break. Probably just stopped in this case.

Storing without gas can be done, but storing with no oil could make trouble.
I honestly never intended on ising this bike again but my youngest son wants to get his motorcycle license so i figured we could get it going again so the no oil thing never crossed my mind at the time. I will try the spark plug thing sometime this week. But would i be able to move the wheel in 5th gear if the engine was hydrolocked?
I really should pull and clean the carbs but have never attempted it before. (I am certainly no motorcycle mechanic but can learn and am not afraid to try)
I appreciate the feedback on the hydrolocking never would have crossed my mind.
To backtrack a bit i just did realize about 8 hours went buy between my last attempt to start and when i tried spinning the wheel. I imagine if gas had hydrolocked the cylinders it may have leaked by the rings while sitting and then potentially freed up the air space in the cylinder. I may throw the battery back in tomorrow and try and crank it over

·
Registered
7,710 Posts
If it still has gas in the cylinder, it won't move by turning the wheel. It's just locked.

If you got the bike rolling faster then kicked it into gear, it would either slide or bend the connecting rods.

Cylinder filling with gas is common on this one if there's a carb or petcock problem.

If you find it did flood with gas, it's probably going to need an oil change due to gas contamination.

You're right, the gas could have leaked past the rings by now. You can try cranking before turning the gas on.

Check petcock vacuum hose, it should never have gas in it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Spockster thanks for the help. I realized we had left the petcock on prime and it was flooding the carbs. Stupid mistake.

On another note the petcock i bought only has 1 vaccum port, that is smaller. If i run a splitter will this work? You seem to be pretty knowledgeable so figured you might know.

·
Super Moderator
2,569 Posts
stock petcock has 3 ports, 1 for vacuum from left carb (to open the internal valve) and 2 for feeding the carbe (one for each carb). the vacuum port is smaller than the fuel outlets. some people have used a single outlet petcock successfully with a "Y" or "T" fitting on the outlet to split it to the 2 carbs

1 - 6 of 6 Posts